Cooling down temps in my DIY Aeroponics unit with 100w peltier

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by c0rn, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Hi all!

I started a thread a while ago regarding my DIY Aeroponics/DWC build that can be found on the below link.
    Homemade low pressure Aeroponics/DWC hybrid

The DIY box is working great except for the water temps. So the next part of the project is to cool down the water.

I never have over 4 US Gallons (15 liters) in my res so I do not need a large cooler. So I am planing on building a Peltier 100w cooler. I know they are not the most efficient but for a small res they should be fine I hope and I only need to cool between 4-5C.

I have ordered some parts of eBay and now I am waiting on the parts to arrive. I will be sharing my findings in case it works good and anybody wants to build the same =)

Digital Thermostat Temperature Controller Red And Blue Display DC 12V 20A W3230 720643648147 | eBay
    [​IMG]

Peltier Thermoelectric Module Peltierelement 12V TEC1-12706 12708 12710 12712 | eBay
    [​IMG]

40x40mm Primary Aluminium Water Cooling Block For Liquid Water Cooler For PC CPU | eBay
    [​IMG]

2Pc 1m x 1.8m Self Adhesive 6mm Double Bubble Foil Thermal Insulation Camper Van, I will insolate the box and lid with this stuff and I am hoping this will help a little bit extra so I do not have to run the Peltier cooler all the time.
    2Pc 1m x 1.8m Self Adhesive 6mm Double Bubble Foil Thermal Insulation Camper Van 783101476140 | eBay
    [​IMG]

I already have a spare PC cooler that is rated for 150w cooling.
    [​IMG]

I also have a bunch of 12v 10-20a 120-240w power supplies at home.

This should be fun =)

• Like Like x 1
  2. So I started building the "plate" that everything will be attached to today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Looks good so far ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Once all the cables are in place it will not look nice anymore hehe :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dont matter what it looks like if it does the job ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Preach it brother =)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks bro! Looks great so far. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Started a bit of work on the electrical part of the project today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also cut a hole in the lid for the digital thermostat.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. What amount of water flow are you expecting to see, c0rn? I mean, as far as a flow rating, how much water can it cool and how long will it take to cool that much when you're done?

• Like Like x 1
  10. To be honest I am not sure, it's hard to find any numbers and actual proper testing from any other projects.

So I will have to just test and document in hopes that it will help other people. I am not even sure this will work good at all. Keep finding loads of projects but no real numbers.

Flow rates will be hard to know until I test the water block, I have done loads of custom built water cooling on PCs and flow rates can change loads depending on the water block.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I changed my mind a bit regarding this chiller. I ordered a Hailea HC100a that I will be using with my grow box for my girls.

I will instead use this chiller with a future chili grow.

Honestly I want to use something I built myself but I also want to make sure that I thoroughly test it first, once I have tested it and I am happy with the results I will use it in my tent. Currently I really need something that really works in my grow space :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Small updates, waiting on some tubing that will fit on the water block. Still a bit of wiring to do. But getting there slowly :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Any updates?

• Like Like x 1