Cool job, but feel bad about it

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by flirt77, Jan 20, 2013.

1. hey gc

So I'm in california (see my signature), but unless you follow the other thread you don't know why. I got a job, ya see. And it's a really cool job. I am interning on the set of "The Office" for their final season of shooting, and I am beyond ecstatic each and every time I go to work. The thing is though, the only reason I got the job is because my cousin, who created the show, set it up for me. I know that I should be 100% happy about all this, but I feel some guilt. I work with a whole lot of assistants, and every single one I've talked to graduated from an ivy league school, or at least a school known for being as hard as an ivy (stanford, UChicago, etc.). And they're just making copies and answering phones. I haven't finished college (at my NOT ivy league school), and I'm on the same level as them. It just doesn't seem right. How should I go about fully enjoying the opportunity? I feel pretty insecure as not only the youngest employee, but the one that everybody knows just got placed here by family.

What do you guys think?

2. No need to feel bad. We all have different connections in different fields of work. We take advantage of them to try and achieve the best we can. You have a great opportunity that could lead to something bigger. Be positive about that.

3. There is a story behind every persons job, how they got it, who they know etc etc... The only question you should ask yourself, are you any less able/adequate for the position than the others? And fyi, Ivy league means shit all when it comes actually DOING a job.

Do the job well, and better than others. If you can't, you should have enough respect for yourself and leave.

4. "the office" kinda sucks now but maybe thats just what happens to all tv shows eh i'd just stay high,keep my nose clean,do my job,and fuck as many hot chicks as you can lol good luck though fo reals

5. ^ what (s)he said. A degree from an Ivy League college doesn't mean shit. You could have a person who's got all the requirements from college and not know the job for shit. If you're good at what you do, you have no worries. Keep at er and put 100% effort into it. You'll kill it.!

6. Thanks everyone for the encouragement. If anyone's interested, I'll keep you updated on work

7. Don't fuck up Mann..

8. I try my best

9. That's all you Can do !

Looking forward to updates man

10. Fuck Pam for me

11. I think that you should be more grateful instead of guilty. Make the most out of the production and help out as best you can. You don't need an IVY league education to work like that. Be a good worker and you could have other opportunities come up that aren't based off you being family. Just because I washed my brothers car doesn't mean my neighbor isn't seeing how much of a badass I am and want to work with me. Or something like that. Yes you're in a good spot, and no you shouldn't feel bad.

12. Idk man I love the office though (my sig) any chance Michael Scott returns?

13. Dude i woukd fucking great.

Having the same job as these so called geniuses without doing half the education?

You should be proud man

14. Hey, if it makes you feel any better, there's a decent chance that they got their Ivy League educations the same way you got your job: family connections.

15. Can't say anything definitively, nondisclosure agreement, but there's a chance :)

16. I like this haha thanks chief

17. Ate lunch with Leslie David Baker (Stanley) and Craig Robinson (Darryl). Really nice guys, really funny too. Talked about lady gaga, foot fetishes, and autoerotic asphyxiation. Fun lunch in my books

18. Where's the millions at

19. No reason to feel bad OP. Instead you should feel grateful for such an opportunity. Take time to learn from those you're working with and the experience will be a stepping stone to future opportunities that you earned fair and square. Smoke you a bowl and you'll feel better lol.

20. I bet they would have takin the opportunity if they had been in your position so no reason to feel bad

Not necessarily what you know but who