Cooking Soil

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Albert.Hofmann, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Ok, just built my first organic soil based of the easy organic soil recipe for beginners. Its been cooking a few days now and the top layer is starting to look like its drying. Am I supposed to mist or re water the soil to keep the soil going?

2. you want to keep the soil moist always. if it dries out all the good microbes you are trying to grow and have live in your soil dies. you can keep adding some water to your soil if it's drying out. it should stay moist.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Awesome, thank you

• Like Like x 1
  4. Welcome to the world of watering your soil. Everything else in it will flourish.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I don't think it's accurate to say all the good microbes die if the soil dries out. Many of the microbes will hibernate until the environment is suitable for them to be active.

OP, I dig your username. Mr. Hoffman did a lot more than take that fateful bike ride on April 16, 1943. He also conducted a ton of research on Chitin. The crab shell and MBP in your mix contain this.
    RD

• Like Like x 3
  6. The microbiology term for microbes going dormant is encystment . Really incredible that these microorganisms have a system in place to preserve their existence.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ok, I can understand that. I was trying to give an easy answer. I misspoke or worded very inaccurately.
    Would you agree with what my original thought and intention and basic idea being that it's best to keep it moist because otherwise the microbes in the soil can't be active to do their job. in other words, the soil won't cook without the moisture. That's the point I was attempting to make anyway. hope that's more accurate?

• Like Like x 3
  8. Thanks for the clarification, I want to make sure I have a healthy soil to ensure that my end products quality is top notch. The world of organics is really fascinating. And in regards to my username, Ive always enjoyed researching Mr. Hoffman and his attributes to science.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. that IS really cool
    just 10 minutes ago I was looking at 42 gals of soil from my last grow. Was on;y used one grow with autos. Was just trying to formulate my plan on re=amending and re-potting in different sized pots that fit my tent better. this slightly used :) :) soil has been sitting in a hot attic room all summer since I chopped the plants in those pots than just moved the [pots to the storage room and there they sat ignored for the last 90-100 days. I'm sure the soil is done dry all the way thru by now but interesting to note that microbe will become active again rather than having to "grow" new ones once I add amendments and water it in.
    Nature is really cool!

10. My soil is retaining some moisture in the bulk of the 5gal smart pots, but the top is looking dry due to the exposure to open air. So I plan on a heavy misting of the top layer to ensure moisture retention while avoiding complete saturation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lay some wet cardboard on top of the soil and keep it moist. It will help keep the moisture in. Don't worry if the cardboard falls apart, the soil life will eventually consume it.
    Easy Peasy
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Worms LOVE to live underneath wet cardboard,too...It's all good !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Heck yeah man. No worries. I used the word hibernate which isn't 100% accurate either. At the end of the day we all learned something. Which is pretty cool if you ask me.
    RD

• Like Like x 1
  14. Give it a turn and water thorughly!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk