Cooking soil

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Emmitt Otter, Feb 9, 2015.

1. I was wondering if its necessary to let a soil cook I'm using the clackamas coot nite pack and organic mechanic potting soil. I believe I've read somewhere on these forums that its not necessary to cook a soil but wanted to make sure

2. How's it goin Emmitt! I think it's pretty common to suggest letting the soil 'cycle' for a few weeks before using. That said, I know there are people around the forum here who have planted directly into a fresh soil mix with nothing but amazing results!

3. thanks for the reply gtg I've got over month old seedlings and they look rootbound so time to transplant

Attached Files:

4. If they are over a month old, even better!

5. There is also a thread by "seekhaze", who scorched his girls pretty good planting in a just made mix.

Might want to take a look. It was still on pg 1 when I posted.

Cd

6. thanks the nutrient kit I'm talking about only has neem meal and kelp meal along with crustacean meal and I didn't think it would fry plants

7. I can't find seekhaze thread the search function on the GC app isn't very useful lol

8. I'm not sure that it's entirely and completely necessary, especially with the "CC nutrient kit" that I've seen folks talking about - but! is more of a "for best results" thing. I have also "burned" plants by not allowing new soil to cycle but I also don't measure anything so I'm sure my mix was "hotter" than what you're describing. I will also say that after the initial shock the plants pulled out of it just fine and didn't miss much more than a half a beat.

6 of one/half dozen of another. It's in your best interest to properly cycle any new soil but it certainly shouldn't kill anything. It's very, very hard to overdo organic nutrients in a living organic soil. Too much, though, and there is a distinct possibility of actual heat for a few days as the organisms break down the amendments but in your case with the CC kit I'm sure that you'll be just fine!

J

9. An even better example than the one I mentioned.

Like JERRY said, it's the actual heat produced from breakdown that does the damage and that depends on what and how much is added.

Some, no problem using right away. Some, need some time for the temps to come down and not cook roots.

Cd