Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cooking infused coconut oil questions/tips

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by n1ck301, Aug 5, 2016.

1. #1 n1ck301, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Currently cooking my first ever batch of cannabis infused product. Just wondering if anyone has advice, tips on anything i should do and if I'm cooking it correctly.
    Decarbed 8 grams of flower at 240F for 60 minutes.
    [​IMG]
    Currently simmering 8 ounces coconut oil with 1 tbps lecithin mixed in with the decarbed herb in this setup. Thinking about 90-120 minutes then I strain everything look ok? Maybe an ideal temp for the water? Should oil be simmering or just water? Oil is at 180F right now
    [​IMG]

2. @n1ck301
    For making bud oil like that I use a cup of decarbed coarse ground bud to 1 cup of coconut oil and about 3 or 4 tablespoons of lecithin.. In general equal amounts of weed and oil will give the strongest oil base working with raw cannabis..
    No double boiler needed I direct heat in a foil covered stainless dish in a toaster oven at 220 degrees F for about 60 minutes then freeze till hard.. 2 more heat and freeze cycles is where I like it best.. Strain out the weed with a potato ricer or garlic press.. It's THC is extracted and what's left is spent and leaving it in just adds grit and plant matter that's less then desirable in food..
    Follow basic cooking directions for things like brownies just sub your now finished canna oil for what's called for in the recipe.. No need to alter temps or cooking times..
    Cut small and wait 60-90 minutes before eating a second.. Working with edibles it's best to create the same strength items each time that way you know what to expect from the trip and not get a nasty surprise when it's not convenient to be hammered off your ass and as long as this stuff can last to much can be hours of misery..
    BNW

3. @bnw ,

You suggest that edibles be the same strength so you know what to expect.

Problem is, the same strain from a different harvest or different plant can have different cannabinoid profiles.

Getting consistency of results without having any control of the raw materials is a significant challenge.

@n1ck301 next time cut your decarb from 60 minutes to 40 minutes. 240 F is the correct temperature.

• Like Like x 2
  4. @sickmanfraud
    The minor changes in profile from plant to plant and grow to grow don't seem to make that much difference on the far end after processing.. It may be the blended nature of the hash stocks I use but my caps come out very predictable in both strength and effects..
    As long as I stay to my basic recipe on the caps the starting material doesn't seem to matter all that much..
    ============
    5 grams decarbed dry ice hash (160) micron power shaken
    1 tablespoon coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon soy lecithin..
    ============
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My little helpers.. LOL
    BNW

• Like Like x 1