cooking and nutrient loss

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by yurigadaisukida, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Recently i been trying to eat a lot more vegetables. I like to cook them for safty, and frankly, they are more palletable cooked :p

After doing some research i found steaming to be the best method for not losing nutrients. But what i didnt find is why.

From biology i learned that some nutrients are fat soluble and some are watersoluble. one source i read was that cooking broccoli sprouts in most oils will reduce the nutrient and phytochemical content by 30+%. But if you use penut oil the loss is insignificant.

Another source i read said microwaving is actually a good meathod.

The general idea seems to be that the heat isnt destroying the nutrients. They are being leached out and dissolved by the cooking medium. This is why boiling and frying are the worst methods.

This gave me an idea and i was wondering what you blades think.

If i put the veggies in my rice cooker, they get steamed with the rice. Any nutrient loss is then absorbed by the rice. Thus you only lose heat sensitivs nutrients.

My concerne is how many of the nutrients are heat sensitive.

2. Also how do raw foodians not get sick?

I been reading all this stuff thay sais you should eat your veggies raw, but what about bacteria?

3. #3 budsmokn420, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2012
    If you are going to cook you veggies than yea steaming is the best. Cooking veggies with rice in your steamer sounds like an excellent idea.

Of corse raw is best though. You may not have significant nutrient loss while cooking them, but you do destroy the enzymes which is a pretty big deal. Your digestive system is much more burdened with cooked food and it takes a lot more energy to digest, rather than raw foods which are loaded with enzymes. Also, cook veggies tend to be a lot more acidic than raw veggies. I suggest adding more leafy green herbs like romaine, kale, dill, bok choy, etc. Salads are good but a better way to get more greens in your diet in a more efficient way is juicing.

Also, bacteria isn't a problem with raw foods at all lol

You get your fruit and veg (try to get as much organic) and wash it thoroughly with filtered water and you're good to go. If there is any bacteria on there, it is not significant to do any harm. You do have an immune system lol and those raw foods are enhancing that immune system significantly anyways. Plus some algae/bacteria are good...that's where you get your b12 from and blue green algae like sprulina are excellent for you and it is actually the most efficient source of protein on the planet.

Basically your best bet is Raw Living Organic Vegan foods.

4. [quote name='"budsmokn420"']If you are going to cook you veggies than yea steaming is the best. Cooking veggies with rice in your steamer sounds like an excellent idea.

Of corse raw is best though. You may not have significant nutrient loss while cooking them, but you do destroy the enzymes which is a pretty big deal. Your digestive system is much more burdened with cooked food and it takes a lot more energy to digest, rather than raw foods which are loaded with enzymes. Also, cook veggies tend to be a lot more acidic than raw veggies. I suggest adding more leafy green herbs like romaine, kale, dill, bok choy, etc. Salads are good but a better way to get more greens in your diet in a more efficient way is juicing.

Also, bacteria isn't a problem with raw foods at all lol

You get your fruit and veg (try to get as much organic) and wash it thoroughly with filtered water and you're good to go. If there is any bacteria on there, it is not significant to do any harm. You do have an immune system lol and those raw foods are enhancing that immune system significantly anyways. Plus some algae/bacteria are good...that's where you get your b12 from and blue green algae like sprulina are excellent for you and it is actually the most efficient source of protein on the planet.

Basically your best bet is Raw Living Organic Vegan foods.[/quote]

Thanks for that. Ive always beem a major germaphobe. They made me believe id get salmonoela or ecoli or some.shit if i.didnt cook thouroughly.

In my heart though i knew logically that every other animal on the planet eats raw, and i also have a double standard with fruit since i think it ruins the flavor if you cook fruit.

Thabks for the reply