Convince me to go HPS

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CFLdorm, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Ok, so there are a lot of beginners here.. as it is the beginners forum, and I notice a lot of people using CFL/FL bars. This was my initial inclination, as it is CHEAP mainly, and won't crank up my energy bill. I just got a bunch of xmas money, and I saw a 150watt system on ebay for like 90 with shipping, and it is interesting me... Would a 150 or 400 watt really use much more energy? I mean, I get free electricity, but if i go past the threshold it costs me and my roomates money. This would be bad and I would have to stop immediately. Everyone always talks about better buds on HPS, so I was thinking of going that route now... still not sure.
    What do I do?!?!
    P.S. can someone link me some good ebay auctions for hps and CFLs? Just to show me the good stuff...
    Thank you so much.

2. I hate CFLs even for veg. HID lighting is the only way (for me). If you going to use CFLs use it for clones/veg. Do it right.

175 vs 400? 175 is nothing. Do it right. 400hps

3. if you have a budget than i suggest you pickup a 400 watt mh or hps. i would perferr hps. but in electricity cost its about $20 bucks. well atleast here in the bay. you can check out craigslist and find some great deals sometime. i guess you just have to be patience and wait. btw going with clones will cut your electricity cost and youre gonna harvest early too. just some suggestions..

4. You'll also have to consider how big of a space you'll be growing in before you decide what size HPS to pick up. In reality a 400w does not cost that much more than a 150w. If you have a decent size closet to dedicate to your grow, I'd say to go for the 400. If you just have a small space or cabinet, then the 400 will probably put off too much heat, so the 150 would be the only realistic choice. As for CFLs, forget about them....haha. If you'll only be using one light for your whole entire grow, HPS is the only way to go!!

(And no I did not mean for that to rhyme :) )

5. What about the people on here that get great CFL grows? Also, yeah, the 400w is only like $30 more! How many plants could I grow with a 400w hps? And how much would a craig'ed or ebay'ed nice 400w hps cost?

6. high tech garden has 250w and 400w systems on ebay for around $150 each(with shipping), if u have the space get the 400w. u could grow 4-6 decent sized plants with a 400w, and 2 or 3 with 250w.