Convince me grasscity!

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by breatheeasy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. I've been raised a Christian. Family was very involved in church growing up. I was baptized when I was 12 years old. I truly believed all those years that christianity was truly the way. As I got older I started questioning things.
    Right now, I wouldn't say I consider myself Christian. I cant say I'm a atheist and I can't say I'm a believer in god. I'm in a weird spot. I would like to think there is a god but just can't convince myself although I would like to.

Ive read a lot of things about the subject based on science, religion, reason, all of it. But none of seems to convince me one way or the other.

One spot where I'm stuck with religion is that the bible says you have to believe that Jesus is Gods son and have no doubts. Well, I don't believe I can put my trust in anything without having any doubts pertaining to this subject.

2. Sounds to me that you would fall into the agnostic category.

3. Yes thats what I consider myself I guess. I just don't know.

4. 1. just don't listen to the bible LOL

2. this is something you need to figure out on your own. all you're going to get here is a bunch of cryptic shit from people who think they're being philosophical, atheists telling you your beliefs are stupid and your family is evil, and maybe a christian telling you you're going to hell for doubting jesus.

5. Atheism is boring, trust me. We miss out on the talking snakes and other cool adventures.

6. You don't need convincing. Find your own way.

7. How does science not convince u one way..... its facts lol

8. [quote name='"PoppyPal"']How does science not convince u one way..... its facts lol[/quote]

But facts are pretty easy to manipulate, right? Im not a christian btw

9. stop questioning and live. experience enlightens if you can receive. you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink.

10. Because if something like the big bang happened it doesn't automaticcaly mean there is no god. A god like force very well could be the one that got the big bang started.

Science still can't prove there is or isn't a god or deity.

11. OP, no one will be able to convince you. Once you've started questioning, that's the end of the line. At this point, you can come to a logical conclusion, either on your own or with others' help. But there will always be a slight what if? If you're looking to KNOW, you need to start searching within yourself. Anyone who has ever found and cemented their own belief in a god, has done it by searching themselves and finding something.

12. Why ask someone to convince you? I get the feeling that by asking someone to convince you, you already know what you truly believe and are just looking for confirmation.

Whether what you truly believe is a god, no god, or just not knowing either way is entirely up to you. But asking people to try to convince you of any of those things is silly. Believe what you believe. You don't need anyone to confirm your beliefs for you.

13. go to church and they will convince you with their 100% logic

14. You need to ask god to show you your purpose in life, i guess thats the only reason people become christians. Give it a shot, you won't regret it.

15. Believe it or not, some people can ask "God to show them purpose" as much as they want and get nothing in return.

If everyone could "feel god" just by "asking him to show them purpose", I don't imagine we'd have many atheists in the world.

16. #16 breatheeasy, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
    I guess I titled this thread wrong. I'm not expecting to literally be convinced by someone on what to believe as I do already have an idea on what all I believe. I just wanted to hear where others stand and have their best case presented as to why they believe what they do.

17. I,m not going to lie and be a hardcore christian lol cuz i,m not but its how i got to know god personally and i was in a similar situation with him. I truly felt lost and wanted god, i guess God answers by judging a man by his heart and not his actions.

18. It sounds like you take the bible too literally. Just because the bible has stories in it that can't possibly be true, like talking snakes doesn't prove that everything in it is false. I'm not saying the bible is the way because personally I believe the bible is a great piece of literature that has a lot of good parables and stories to teach us to live better lives. But if your totally discounting the bible and god because it has a bunch of stories in it that aren't believable than I think that's a bad way to go about it.

19. Well, see, that's much easier to respond to! :D

Personally, I'm an atheist. I have never been given a good reason to believe that any gods exist aside from the fact that it's comforting at times to think so.

People constantly brush off beliefs of Thor or Zeus or other old-timey 'gods', and still act like their current god is complete valid and they don't understand why anyone wouldn't believe in that one specific god. That one specific god over the many that have existed throughout human history.

Unless a day comes where I see actual evidence otherwise, I will continue believing that we are just creatures who happened to evolve on a tiny planet, in a tiny solar system, in this massive universe.

And I believe we would be arrogant to think that it all was created just for us.

What's that quote I'm looking for... it goes something like this;

"You are one person out of 7 billion people on one planet out of eight planets in one star system out of 100 billion star systems in one galaxy out of 100 billion galaxies. And you are enormously insignificant."

One more addition:
    The Scale of the Universe 2

20. Ok. I respect your answer and do realize this process is endless. But say there is no deity or god and your right. There has to be an origin to the universe. Let's say it started with a single atom. Where did that atom come from? See where this kind of thinking gets me? I just feel there has to be something more powerful than we realize or know to put things in place. Something can't be made from literally nothing is what I'm getting at.