Convince a European!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Zylark, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Its not there so much resentment towards Europeans, it just we dont like it when they sit on the side lines and criticize our country.

The reason they dislike it when we say our country is great is because they know its true and the truth hurts.

2. Wowzers.

3. #43 stoned budda, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2008

Sorry, if i sound like an Amero-dick, lol. But seriously, i didn't say in that post America is the greatest! No i said we are great and i stand by that, The United States of America is a great nation, a kick ass place to live, where an former felon, and highschool drop out such as myself can go from humble beginnings growing up on the wrong side of the tracks in an abandoned steel mill town near Pittsburgh pa. to obtaining 2 college degrees and owning his own business making more money than i ever thought possible, (legally anyways).

4. What are your parameters for "great"?

5. Check the edit.

6. He hasn't said anything about America that you haven't said before in a different thread, All he said in the beginning is that our two party system sucks because both canidates suck. You admitted that voting here is like picking the lesser evil one.

7. Actually, I was pretty ripped and drunk when I made this thread, so I'm having some trouble myself figuring out what this thread is really about :p Hell, I'd be happy to just let it drown. But after looking through it earlier today, I just couldn't let the name calling of Stoned Budda go by un-answered.

And the derailing didn't really help keeping this thread on topic.

But what it really boils down to, is that I'm not entirely convinced the upcoming US election will actually change anything with regards to US policies.

Basically that the US political system forces one into a false dichotomy, where one got the not so nice choice between pest and cholera. That is the two-party system for you. I'm more of a fan of representative democracy, with many parties. Then you get a more fine-grained choice of candidates and more diversity in the national assembly. A diversity that more correctly mirrors the public opinion.

But ofcourse, politicians being politicians, that can also mean that you get a choice between pest, cholera, typhus, cancer, aids and lupus. But it also mean that special interests groups get less influence, seeing as they have to pander to a rather large group of non-agreeing politicians, instead of just two camps that are too preoccupied with pandering to the lowest common denominator, and pull the wool over the voters eyes whilst saying thank you very much to the special interest group who can promise them the biggest financial contribution. Or systemized corruption if you wish.

But hey, we could rename the thread to "let us hate the snobbish, elitist, eurotrash aka Zylark" :D

8. #48 CaliCoast, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2008
    So it's not okay to criticize the US? But it's okay to criticize "eurotrash" right? Haha, hubris at its finest.