Converting a glass vase to a bong

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by geetar77, May 5, 2008.

1. So i was given this kick ass blue and white glass vase today, and its about 3 feet long, i kid you not the only way you can even tell it isn't a bong is because it has no hole for the stem. my question to all of you is if anyone knows any way i could convert it into a bong by cutting or melting a hold into the base...i was thinking maybe if i could heat it up red hot i could use a metal dowel of some kind and just poke through it but i don't have the tools for it...just throwing it out there any ideas let me know!

2. ya bro if u have a drill u can get a bit however big u want made for drillin into glass and justdo that ive done it b4 but wat u were talkin bout could work 2 just dont break it cuz that SUCKS big time

3. you either need a glass bit which is very expensive or you can tape it off and start with a very very thin bit, then get progressively larger after you have a polite hole drilled.

just remember, go SLOW.

4. you need a glass drill bit. Go very slowly and keep it lubed the whole time.

Dont try "melting" a hole it it.. glass dosent work that way and youll almost definatly break it

and glass bits arent too expensive. $10-$20 and their not a bad investment

5. I would use a Dremel because they spin much faster than most drills. Go slow.

6. i talked to a guy at my local headshop. and he told me a cheaper and easier way to do this.
    Sand blasting. tape off the area(many layers) where you want to make a hole, trace around where you would like the hole, fill the aparatus with sand to prevent sand from damaging the glass, and then slowly sandblast it away.

7. :confused::confused: use a dremel because they spin much faster but go slow??? am i to baked to understand???

8. The bit spins faster, therefore it's not quite as easy to break the glass. The go slow part pertains to how fast the individual actually moves the bit into the material. Hope I cleared everything up.

9. measure out some hose say the width is 2cm

then drill a hole 1.7cm ( the reason for the .3 less is to ensure air tightness when you insert the hose also make sure when u drilling it u take into account hte angle at which you want the hose to sit )

fit the hose

if for some reason it dusnt work and isnt air tight just simply use some gap filler to fit it.

if you dont want to use garden hose and want a metal/glass peice, then drill out the hole perfectly to the thickness of the peice and then use gap filler to fit it.

hope it works out

PS: post pics when done.

10. Yeah I have a sweet glass vase that I'm gonna try turning into a bong, but its thin, so I'm gonna have to be careful. I have a 1/2" x 3/8" Tungsten Carbide bit for glass, tile and marble. Hopefully it works out, but I still have to buy a slide. I have the down-stem, but no slide 8(

11. Glass drill bit is the way to go. i made my bong out of a grey goose bottle took about 5-10 min. GO SLOW.

12. I'm a big fan of dyi bongs and I'm a not a fan of plastic so all my home made bongs look like store bought glass bongs. The first time I figured I could melt glass with my small hand torch I thought I could poke a hole through a hot vase. MISTAKE, I wound up with a broken vase a few deep cuts and a piece of glass in my arm. If you try to heat it up most likely it will not break, it will explode like mine did and shoot glass everywhere. Thankfully I didn't get any to the face but could have. I picked up a diamond bit after that ran me nothing but they cost about $20. Thick glass is a pain in the ass but you just have to be patient. I never use lube or water cause I take my time but most people I know that drill their own will run it under the faucet really low while drilling. I just feel mine every 30 seconds to see if it's hot, if so I'll smoke a bowl chill then back to the drill. I just recently picked a whole set up of glass bits, smaller bits ran around $20 and bigger ones around $40. My suggestions would be to either use a plug in drill or an expensive cordless, something that will spin good. Dremel would work great bc of the speed like someone else stated but getting a bit that is not tiny and will fit is the hard part. Good luck and patience is the key. Post some pics of the finished product

13. ok well you are goign to need either a dremel or a drill... whatever u have... go to the hardware store and buy 2 carbide drill bits (for ceramic and glass)

you want sand and a cup of water

mark where you want teh hole and start spinning slowly.

then faster while applying pressure..

keep the surface wet by flicking water on it

then switch to the higher bit..

put your downstem and slide in and seal it up..

you got urself a beautiful bong

TAKE SHOTS AND POST! I LVOE SEEING NICE HOMEMADES... my favs are citysmokers, Sem's and uhmmm

14. How the blowers do it is super heat a metal prod and burn holes in the glass.

You may have to buy a glass drill, but even with that, there is still a large chance of breaking it.

Or you can do it my way: get a hammer and a small nail and start chipping VERY lightly wherever you want your hole. If you do it soft enough, after about 30 minutes of chipping you'll have a hole.

15. this is dangerous to do because A) you dont ahve the proper equipment and B unless the glass is really thin then it could easilly shatter

16. i made a bong from a vase with a dremel drill bit and sanding bit. took 20 minutes, i also drilled diffuser holes in the stem with the dremel. it hits very well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dude that thing is fuckin legit!! Looks like fun

18. I'm looking for a place I can buy vases that look legit like that. Any ideas?

Sweet bong, I wish I could just buy really thick glassed beakers almost, I feel that would work.

Anthony

19. hobby lobby, Micheals arts and Crafts, pier one imports,

20. I got a tiny vase from goodwill, next step is to get the hole drilled. i think gonna look into renting a dremmel from home depot.