Container Size

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by wd2006, May 14, 2006.

1. I was thinking of buying a Hydroponics Kit so that I wouldnt have to worry about watering the plant and feeding it and Basically it would grow on its own andI would have to not do much. But I have a question.

What size container must I buy in order to grow one plant properly...

Like I know when you grow in soil a 1 foot deep by half a foot container is usually the right size.

But this one kit has only a 4'' pot a hydropoincs kit..so since it grows in water does it still need to be 1 foot by half a foot to make it grow?

2. Hydro is harder than soil. It's definatly not "set it and forget it", in fact, if you want something easier with less maintinance, you're going to want soil.

3. What would be set it and forget it?

Like I guess then soil is easier but why?

4. 1st part: I believe it was you who said "I was thinking of buying a Hydroponics Kit so that I wouldnt have to worry about watering the plant and feeding it and Basically it would grow on its own andI would have to not do much." Those are your exact words, and basically a perfect example of "set it and forget it."

2nd part: Hydro requires a great deal more knowledge of growing than soil, because with hydro you have to provide everything in the right amounts at the right time. Whereas with soil, you can make a good soil mix, then just add fertilizer as needed (preferably organic, as it won't cause nute burn).

5. THis kit that I know about has a special resevoir that I can add all the special mix to with water and the timer automatically releases it into a 5 gallon tank which the plants are growing in so its like all I would have to make sure would be that if the water in the tank stays up to the fill level.
    Everything else like the special fertilizer and what not comes with the kit and gets automatically released into the water mix like a computerized drip.

Its pretty cool.

6. Joint, I agree with you totally about hydro vs. soil. There are those who say hydro is very easy once you get the hang of it, but there is that learning curve and even then you definitely will not mistake hydro growing for a product from a Ron Popeil infomercial.

I believe WD is not asking what does set it and forget it mean, I think he is asking: OK, so if hydro isn't set it and forget it then what is? To answer that question, the closest would be to find a suitable isolated outdoor spot, throw down some seeds, then come back in 4-5 months to see what happened.

But as the Beatles said, "in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." There is no such thing as a guaranteed successful effortless grow. If you don't want to put any effort into it then you run great risks of failure or highly compromised results. If you truly don't want to put in effort to grow then you are better off just buying your stuff. It takes money and work as well as some luck to grow successfully, but the payoff is that much sweeter because you did it.

7. But this kit I know is great...but I am not sure what the pot size should be none the less. See the thing is that I am growing indoors to places where I wont have access to that often so I need the system to take care of itself whenever possible.

So what is the recommended pot size for one plant. Like give me the dimensions.