Container size?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by stoptack101, Aug 12, 2010.

1. I'm currently growing two plants under a 250w MH/HPS light in, approximately, 1.5 gallon containers. I'm about to switch to flowering (the main stem is almost 1' in length) and was wondering if I should transplant them to larger containers?

I'm using LST, and femming to keep them nice and bushy/short. I know I've heard that MJ plants have similar characteristics to Tomato plants, and I know I've seen Tomato plants that are 4' + tall in less than one gallon containers.

Any thoughts on this? Should I transplant to a larger container?

2. personally, at two feet I would think about 5gal buckets or pots.

3. Thanks for the input. Anymore opinions? I wouldn't have a problem with 5 gal., it's just that my closet is pretty small.

4. outdoors I know people who use 200-400gal smart pots (outdoors)... It really comes down to what you can do. If it gets root-bound the growth will be stunted, and the more space the roots have, the easier you will have growing large plants. Root health is very important to the plant, but since they are hidden (in soil grows at least) it's harder to tell how they are doing. The real key is to avoid root-bound. I do much of my vegging in 1gal pots, then move to 5 gallon. I've had plants up to 3 feet in a 1g without being root-bound, but they grew faster when I moved to 5g.

You might not get a lot of other opinions, there aren't as many hard and fast rules, and every plant and substrate are different. The real key is to make sure they aren't bound, and get plenty of oxygen :)

5. I would go at least three gallon. That is what I am using in a small tent and they have worked well for me.

JaK

6. Thanks for the awesome replies! +rep.

Also, since roots like air. Has anyone tried the new "air pots"? I saw them in my local garden supply shop. They're basically a standard pot, but look like they have a ton of holes on the side so the plant's roots can get more air. Any thoughts?