container/pot size, 8 gallon or more?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by mattyblaze, May 17, 2008.

1. First off, I apologize for bringing this topic up again. I have done a fair amount of searching, but many of the opinions I find seem to conflict with each other. I have seen that a good rule of thumb is one gallon per foot of plant height. My question is, whether one would think 8 gallon containers would be enough for a large plant? I started indoors about a month and a half ago, with them going outside about 3 weeks ago. They are currently in 2 gallon containers, and I plan on performing the final transplant in early june. We have had pretty bad weather this month, lots of rain with little sun. As such, I would estimate the plants range in size from 8 to 14 inches. I saw some 15 gallon containers at my local store which i was considering for maybe the two strongest/largest plants. I know more soil is better than less soil, however if I can get away with 8 gallon pots all around then I will just do that. Thanks for the input

2. Hey, I think 8 gal. would hold a large plant. My pots are probably 8 or 10 gal.

peace nig

3. Well it looks like I will be using the 8 gallon pot then. I still may try the two 15 gallon units for the hell of it. If it is the difference of a few feet in height it should be well worth the efforts

4. Yea for sure. Hope it rounds out sexy..... the plant

5. rule of thumb is a gallon per month of grow
    start with 3 gallon and then add a gallon per added month
    if its a 6 month grow just get a 10 gallon to be safe
    use plenty of perlite
    great for drainage