Considering a vaporizer for my home grow

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by emt1581, Dec 10, 2018.

1. I'm about a month out from harvesting my blueberry and sexbud (C99). Up until now I've been using a bong, pipe, and rolling paper. For more healthy use, better taste, and better portability vaping makes sense. However, I have never done it.

Seems like most use vials of liquid but since I grow my own I want to be able to vape bud. I know those are a specific type of vaporizer.

Just curious what all I should be aware of when shopping for, using, and maintaining a vaporizer?

With the bud itself, can I leave a piece of bud in the vaporizer for a few hours or even days worth of vaping or is it like a bong/pipe in that once you light it you need to finish it soon after?

Thanks!

2. Volcano is the best for a home unit. I do like the looks of the portable type. Not into the plastic bag thing. Love to hear what people that have them have to say

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

3. The small portable ones like pax would gum up on me. I smoke over a 1/8 of flower a day so imagine the gunk. Plus those atomisers suck. The wax not vape carts work good. Have ran into friends with those and they work good. Forget flower in those. Coils system sucks. Hard to get the flower to light under those coils. Wax melting different story

4. A few things to consider, $$ and size would be the starting point...

And to answer your questions, vaporizers typically work best with finely ground flower and many of them use chambers that are small enough where you'll likely be getting through a pack quickly enough. That said, you can leave it and come back to it later, but it will taste a little off. Nothing as bad as hitting a previous fired bong though.

My anecdotal experience with vaporizers...

I started vaping two months ago with a Pax3 (small, extremely portable) . I thought it was the greatest thing ever at first but I found that as my tolerance increased the small chamber and frequency to clean it were slowing me down so I got a S&B Mighty (a little bigger, still considered portable) which solved both of those issues for me. For a short time.

After a few weeks with the Mighty I found I was almost continually using it during a few hours session and still just not getting the same level of high from when I started.

I bought myself an early birthday present and just got the Vapexhale Cloud Evo (desktop unit with glass water pipe) this past week and holy balls am I back in the game! I absolutely love it. It does concentrates beautifully, and I am saving so much more dry cannabis now because a few rips from this thing and I am good to go. No more continuous packing and wasting just to get half a decent buzz like I was getting from the other two. .

I do love how much easier vaping is on my lungs and have no interest in going back to combustion. In fact, I did fire up an old water pipe just last week and regretted it for the next 20 minutes of coughing, lol (not to mention it tasted horrible).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. #5 emt1581, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018

I don't understand what you mean by the "plastic bag thing." Could you clarify please?

Are you saying all the portable ones and their atomizers suck or just certain brands?

I'll be using strictly flower so I need one that is great for that. In terms of quantity, right now, I smoke maybe once a month just because I'm waiting for my next harvest and am not a huge fan of my current supply. Plus a bong/pipe is a little more of a production compared to something push-button.

Thanks!

6. #6 emt1581, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    See above next to the ++++++ (since it won't let me bold). Also, I have no problem spending the money on a higher quality/dollar piece once I know I love it. But because I'm just trying it and don't need a super massive cloud to get high I'd rather just try something with smaller output yet excellent quality of vapor (if such a thing exists).

As far as using a bong with it....I saw on a few vids they said the water filters out a lot of the healthy cannabinoids along with some of the carcinogens from normal smoke. So what does filtering through water do with vaping? And the vapor itself, from what I'm seeing the vapor must me whatever liquid is naturally in the flower because I don't see a water compartment. Is that accurate?

Thanks!

7. The vapor comes from the moisture in the material. The systems that use a water bong are just for smoothness of draw. A non-water type can still be on the harsh side, not nearly as rough as combustion, though.

Two main types of vaporizers are conduction and convection. Conduction heats the chamber the flower goes in, is usually found on the lower cost models, and is OK for budget minded. Convection heats an element inside whatever device it is so that when you draw it pulls the heated air across the flower, so it's much more efficient, less prone to overheating the material, and is overall a better experience IMO.

If you start out in the $100 or less range you might be underwhelmed but don't let that jade the vaping option! It's still an easy way to try and see if it's for you, but spending some money on a good desktop is not really even a fair comparison (as I've learned myself starting with a $70 cheapo and finally settling on a $400 rig with a few others in between). And this directly relates to the quality of the high, too, in my experience.

video reviews were helpful to me when I was shopping. .

8. Thanks for the info!

From your description, I'm guessing the Pax 3 is conduction. But on youtube, people seem to rave about them. Plus they seem pretty idiot-proof for a first timer. I see this one site selling them for $60 but they say you can't "register" them with Pax and you can't use bluetooth....so I'm guessing they are knock-offs/generics. I emailed them to see what they say.

Other than the Pax, what else would be the most bang for the buck vape-wise?

Thanks!

9. That's definitely a knockoff pax at that price. If you're willing to try knock offs, $100 will get you a knock off Mighty which would get you closer to a better experience and it's a convection unit. The legit version is $300+.

I love the pax3 when I started, but I never touch it a anymore.

PM me if you want more info, I don't want to break any forum rules!

10. Thanks for the info....check your PM's.

11. Sensation-wise when I suck on a vape....is it like breathing in fog (just humid air) or is there more burn/harshness than that?

Thanks!

12. The original volcano uses a giant plastic bag that u fill with smoke

13. Congrats on your grow, may it serve you well. As to a vape the first one people get is seldom the only one they get so don't sweat it too much, get something simple and adaptable to learn on. Sadly its hard to suggest what that specific vape is without knowing more about your needs and preferences. Portable versus corded, heat source, load size, ect. Good Luck.

14. Are you looking for a desktop unit or a portable?

15. TL;DR:
    If you have the cash, read up just a little bit on Vapes, but my recommendation is buy the Cloud Evo as fast as you can :D No but to be serious there are better people to answer this question, only vaping experiences I've had is Volcano, Cloud Evo, VapCap and some random pen. VapeCritic tends to be an OK source of information. Cloud Evo is a desktop vape that gets me high as hell, is efficient, easy to use, durable and all GonG.

I've had the Volcano, which by many is considered to be a top 3 desktop vape, since 2009. I've used the Volcano less than 10 times because I hated the bag setup and I didn't feel I got the high I wanted. Can't exactly remember when I bought my Cloud Evo but since day one I haven't smoked on anything else (besides combustion 1 try and VapCap when I'm on the go) and I couldn't be happier, dreading the day it will break. It can do micro doses, medium and 0.5g. I normally smoke 0.2 in mine and get into some really nice flight mode.

My reasoning for the Cloud Evo was that I really wanted to get into vaping and I didn't want to have the same bad experience/disappointment I had with the Volcano. To get the best of what vaping had to offer I bought another one of the top 3 desktop vapes. Now if I buy something new, I have something really really good to compare with and I was fully satisfied with my purchase. If I bought something new it wouldn't be cause the I'm unhappy with the Cloud, but cause I would like to find something that is strong and portable.

Right? :D I tried firing up a bowl after a few months of vaping and damn man, so happy I started vaping. It tasted like pure shit, masked the taste of the herb and damn the coughing. If I go somewhere, you best believe the VapCap is with me :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Portable or desktop really doesn't matter. Price does (only for the first one so I can see if I even like it), and I just want something that'll let me get a feel for whether I prefer it to a pipe or ice bong. I'm also a light weight so it doesn't need to hold much at all.

Thanks!

17. I highly recommend a VaporBrothers v1 desktop.Simple to use and does exactly what it's supposed to do.I only turn mine off when I go to bed.

18. Thanks for the suggestion. Price is do-able but definitely at the high end of what I wanted to spend for a first try.

Looks like a nebulizer!

19. #19 howie105, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    We are off to the races then, for a desktop I will suggest you look at a Log vape. They are simple effective and will stretch you herb supply. Most work well with bongs and such with an adapter and if you have had enough its easy to pause without cooking the load to death. I have an E-Nano log vape and it ran about $180.00 US which is not unusual for a vape in this class.

For a portable I will direct you to the Arizer Solo 1 recently replaced by the New Solo 2 (better battery) the first model lists for $108.00 US. It too is simple, easy to use and works well with water pieces with an adapter.

There are a ton of other vapes that I am sure would work well for you, I just don't know about them first hand so I can't do a recommendation of them.

20. I appreciate the suggestions. It seems like everyone has a different vaporizer they favor rather than there being a few go-to vapes for newbies.