Consciousness

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Major Hit, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Just a question for deep thinkers: There is a belief that our consciousness lives on after death because it's carried in our energy. If that is true, does the memory of the pain in this life follow...like forever?

2. I would say yes, but not in a bad way necessarily. I think it hinges upon on concept of self. I personally view my true self to on a different plane than my physical. I am viewing life through the lens of my physical self, kinda like watching a movie. Just like a movie I can recall the parts and even the emotions attached, but they don't hurt the same. They are just experiences I am aware of. One can choose to focus their attention on certain experiences and indulge in negative emotions and hold on to false attatchments leading to guilt, shame, sadness, anger, fear and in the end lead to misery.
    I heard some one describing a fantastic hallucination and they said "I would have been terrified, if there was a me."

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. thats very deep lol, but you may be on to something I once read something that explained heaven and hell like in Christianity but instead its our on consciousness in our own personal heaven or hell pending on how we veiw our life before death. hope that's not to confusing lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. This is what my mom believes. She believes that her energy lives on. But she also believes that somehow she will go to Heaven.
    No maam.

Her belief in Jesus is the only thing that could save her in my view.

5. Consciousness is a physical manifestation of the brain function. It therefore ceases when brain function ceases. There is no proof or reason to believe otherwise, which just leaves this idea up to wishful/religious thinking. I'm not exempt from the desire for an afterlife, but there's just no reason to believe it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. According to Nisargadatta who is highly respected in the non-dual teachings, consciousness can only be WITH a physical body... He differentiates between AWARENESS or the ABSOLUTE state which has no beginning or ending... Once the "sense of" I AM be it in the womb or as a baby or toddler "happens" the whole dream or leela begins and it is another lifetime of delusion for the vast majority... There is a vague awareness of our True Nature which is the un-manifest Absolute State (think prior to the big bang or bangs)... A state that actually coughed up God if you will, or the creator or creative intelligence, if you won't... This state permeates all matter, all form, all "beings" and on that basis we are one or there are none... It takes awhile (maybe decades) to wrap your mind around this as it is before and after the mind, not just beyond... Once a "person" (not real other than concepts and memories, desires & fears) gets "world weary" it is easier to grasp...

There is a video i posted a few topics below on "pure awareness" with I AM THAT pointers that is narrated very well from his teachings... The bottom line is that the closest we can attain to it before "awakening" or full enlightenment is the "sleep sheath".. Or Deep Sleep we are in each night... Unconscious but aware should something happen... Often i awaken from it instead of the dream state to find i am at a loss as to who or where I AM but in 2 seconds reconstruct my own little world or drama and pick up where i left off the night before... All imaginary really, it is not who I AM or who any of us are in true essence... Everything that changes is not real, including thoughts, desires, fears, forms, yet we "think" we are our thoughts, not the Witness to them... Same for the body.. We "think" we are the body and when it is snuffed out, that's it.. But it is only the curtain falling, the play or dream is over until the next incarnation... more or less.
    Everything we do in a lifetime is in search of a state of total fulfillment yet all of life's trinkets lose their charm after awhile... Odd thing is, few look Within where the treasure of the SELF is hidden... It is simple to just fall back into the Self if we could just sit still or keep quiet now and then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. What if you've seen a ghost?

9. No energy is ever destroyed yes....but in reality you can't be conscious if you are dead!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. I know
    there was
    a while ago
    but will
    there be
    a soon?

11. What about the several million in the world who have had near death experiences, many connected to life monitoring equipment showing that they were indeed dead for a period of time? Almost all of them reported being fully aware of the scene in the ICU or emergency room, later describing the medical staff and what they said and did... They said they were "looking down" on the events...

On the other hand Nisargadatta said it takes the "sense of" I AM to have consciousness which comes in the world of "appearances of form"... This is the beginning of the illusion of separation, different from the only Absolute Reality where there is just emptiness, yet total fullness and contentment, the Unmanifest state... He claimed that he was in that state yet could function in the world at the same time... Said it was easy if we simply relax back into the Self... Must say it is extremely relaxing sort of like a deep sleep resting while in activity... This due to dropping the "i, me, mine" ego drama for a time and allowing what is to do what needs doing moment to moment without trying to push, kick and shove as we have been taught by the collective consciousness competitive spirit to be better or as good as others... For myself, i don't give a damn but this terrestrial vehicle / communication device (physical form) is ancient... They call me #OKBoomer on Twitter.. lol

12. Science has shown conclusively that brain activity continues for a short period after death is pronounced (except of course in cases where the brain has been physically destroyed). So people brought back from clinical death often report dreamlike experiences. But that's all they are--dreams. As for this nonsense you posted about people's NDEs being similar is just a lie, especially the bit about being conscious of what's going on in the ICU. Do you have any idea how revolutionary it would be if what you said was even moderately true? That there has been "several million" people whose NDEs all seem to match? It would be momentous. However, it's simply not true. There has been quite enough studies done on NDE, many interviews with those who have experienced such things, plenty of investigation--scientifically, spiritually, philosophically--and nothing even close to what you're suggesting has been proven, in fact far from it. People's experiences differ wildly, and as I said earlier, scientists are well aware of the brain's increased activity after physical death, the central nervous system is still firing off what's left of its juice, nothing special, nothing profound. If anything close to what you described was true no one would hear the end of it. Mainstream religions would never let this go. They can't even stop trying to argue against evolution despite the losing battle that is, so that should go a long way to show how little there is in NDEs. The people who think the ideal shape of a banana is proof of intelligent design won't even fall for what you apparently have. But alas there is enough evidence there to be shamelessly exploited by a few fringe religious groups and cults and various other pseudoscientific clubs.

13. Eben Alexanders story about his NDE is interesting, and he is a neurosurgeon fwiw.

14. The answer imo was provided by Jim Morrison:

"I'll tell you this: no eternal reward for forgive us now for wasting the dawn."

15. #15 LilaIamnow, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    From meditation, phasing/ lucid dreams/ out of body experiences, I know that we are not the body. The body is only a temporal expression for this experience.

Note: Etymology of the word: Temple
    [Anatomy] Temple is located at the side of the head behind the eyes.
    [spiritual] The word temple means "place of worship".
    Both come from Latin.
    The word for the place of worship comes from templum,
    whereas the word for the part of the head comes from Vulgar Latin *tempula,
    modified from tempora, plural form ("both temples") of tempus,
    a word that meant both "time" and the part of the head.
    Due to the common source with the word for time,
    the adjective for both is "temporal" (both "pertaining to time"
    and "pertaining to the anatomical temple").

oral
    Synonym: words, speech, sound (vibration).

Did you know frequencies/ sounds (vibrating spiral waves) can create?
    Cymatics - Bringing Matter To Life With Sound

Frequencies can also be used to
    Using Sound to Extinguish Fire

Michaelangelo's painting of the Creation of Adam in the Sistine Chapel
    Where is the place of worship/ word-ship/ word-temple?
    How did God create Adam?
    I think Michaelangelo knew ;)

The omnipresent incorporeal I am/ awareness/ consciousness/ mind (all metaphors)
    is always present. After you let go of the attachment or memory associated with the specific body-character self-indentification, these memories will fade away like an elusive dream.

Alex Grey - Dying
    The body comes and goes, but consciousness/ mind is omnipresent.

Alex Grey - Over Soul
    Who is it that is always watching?
    Who is the dreamer?
    Who is the author of your U-in-verse story?

When you know you are not the body, the attachment and association to any particular personality can be treated as a temporary experience. In other words, the his-story, my-story and U-ni-verse and U-in-verse is a temp-orary dream in mind, and you are the dreamer who paints the images in your mind.

Alex Grey - Artist's Hand

Walter Russell - Home Study Course - Unit 8
    Lesson Number 32 - Answers To Students Questions

Regarding: Life, death, and what happens after, both as to body and person.

My reply post regarding Walter Russell.

16. Energy can be (and is most likely) transfered, especially after death

The thing we call consciousness most likely is not as we do not remember what we were before our mother's vagina and we were ok with not existing as we know it or remembering

Your attachment to this thing we call existing is the problem

Sent from my SM-A102U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  17. I would say 'yes.' It serves as a karmic bridge to the next incarnation, a tool for awakening I presume.

18. I do not know about the memory of pain, but it seems to me that thought, what you are thinking right now, for example, is too powerful to disappear in a heartbeat, the last you close your eyes *for the last time*.
    Your heart is active till the very end, , , ,

Know what all creatures with hearts have in common?
    They all have about the same number of heart-beats in their life-times, mice to whales, & all in between, , , ,

19. An afterlife is the wishful vanity of a fearful soul. Did you have a consciousness before conception?

20. That happens all the time when I'm stoned.