Consciousness and the Thinking Mind

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by PilkyHigh, Apr 3, 2011.

1. #1 PilkyHigh, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2011
    Thoughts are a projection of the mind. They evoke an illusion of consciousness, while in actuality, true consciousness is shrouded by them. Thoughts filter one's perception to the point where what you think, and therefore believe, becomes the focus of your perception.

Whatever sights you see and whatever conversations you hear are filtered through this thorough analysis of the thinking mind. Because this works on a subconscious level, it is very easy for negative mindsets and habits to develop without our awareness of them. For example, if someone is depressed, this is because somewhere along the line their thoughts have started to channel a distorted, negative perception of life. This mindset grows exponentially and they spiral into a constant state of extreme unease. It is then incredibly difficult to detach from this negative thought pattern because it was a habit formed unconsciously that now holds complete dominion over the person. Depression is an extreme example of this. In fact, we all experience what I've just described, in varying degress of severity.

Consciousness is unjudgemental - it is pure. When our stream of thoughts are interupted, we in turn experience a stream of this pure consciousness. We refer to these intervals as 'moments of clarity'. In my opinion, more importantly, they are moments of enlightenment. Thoughts mask this pure consciousness and often lead to delusion of some sort if they are not carefully monitered.

So how do we free ourselves from this delusion, whether that be in the form of jealousy, depression, anger, or general confusion, and instead expose ourselves to that highly sought after concept of enlightenment? Quite simply, we must take back conscious control of our minds. Of course this is much easier said than done, but it is what we must strive for if we are to lead productive, joyful lives.

2. Long story short; Go with the flow.

3. I wouldn't use the word filter myself, it's more like they colour it, which while not that different from filtering as you still end up perceiving something that's been changed, colouring allows for everything to always remain present, and therefore perceived differently later on, where as filtering leaves things out. Only semantics really. Still liked what you said.

4. Question is: what comes first, thoughts or feelings?

Are we feeling something which gets turned into thought to understand it, or thinking something which gets turned into feeling to experience it?

5. Both, depending on the situation. But my point in terms of the destructiveness of the thinking mind is that unwanted thoughts/mindsets influence our interpretation of things, which lead to a negative emotions.

6. Are you saying that our previous thoughts and mindsets have affected our ability to perceive the true reality of life so that it takes on a negative reaction, which then makes us not only feel negative but which over time affects the way we think?

Which came first, the thinking based on how we feel, or the feeling based on how we think?

7. #7 R2D420, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2011

I have experienced that most of my emotions comes from my subconsius mind. I haven't fully been able to detach myself from identification with forms, so bassicly everything that i experience is running through a filter. This filter is consistent by parts from the past. I look at the current moment through year old dusty glasses - through a theater mask i have evolved as my character thru the years. It's like wathcing an old movie and you get this idea that this is how the world is now-a-days.

Feelings contribute extra energies to your mind, and your mind - powered by theese extra energies - makes sure that the feeling lasts for how long as possible. It's called attachment btw.
    There are feelings created by our instincts, and feelings created by the mind. Hard to tell the difference, but the important part is to accept and choose what feelings you wanna go with.

But hey thats just my two cents...

8. We truly are masters of our minds.

The only analogy I make involves lucid dreaming. When you lucid dream, you truly have the power to do anything, but it is very common to try to fly or shoot fire from your hands and get no results. You strain and strain but nothing happens. The reason for this is you don't believe you can actually do it. In reality you have the power, but your mind has tricked you into thinking otherwise.

Same thing with thought. In reality we have complete control over our thoughts. Our true selves are masters over our minds, not slaves to the mind, and yet we allow ourselves to be tricked by the mind, by thinking that we are the mind. Once you realize that you are not the mind, and that you have complete control over the mind, your thoughts will cease to have any power over you.

The mind is flawed, and yet it is so common to think that everything the mind tells us is true. The mind is only useful when used as a tool that is directed by self. That is when truth comes, when the mind is directed/controlled by self, not when self is directed/controlled by the mind.

Watch the mind and laugh at its misgivings, at its attempts to control you, for you understand that the mind has no power whatseover over self, which is infinite and all powerful.

9. All thoughts are illusions. The mind (aka ego) only thinks, it never knows. The minds version of knowing is to keep thinking and thinking, and then when you have overthought everything you come to a conclusion. Well, that conclusion is still an opinion, and isnt even ultimately true. The mind just created the illusion you made a correct conclusion. The entire mind is an illusion, but a very real one to those caught up in it.

The consciousness is the Observer of these thoughts. Consciousness doesn't think. Consciousness only knows. It doesn't weigh different options and think about things, I just knows. Now, I wouldnt say it knows specific things revenant to our world, but it does know some things. It knows silence. When you focus on your breath, and quiet the mind chatter, you move into what I like to call the silence. It is when you don't think, and you just BE. You feel awe and amazement. Also, joy and bliss. And the best part is that there is no thoughts whatsoever. You don't think my thoughts. You just sit there and observwhatever is in front of you, you dont judge it, or think about, or act on it, you jusaisle and feel the peace and bliss of the present moment. You are yourself, your consciousness/awareness which is YOU. You are not the mind, the mind isn't even real...it only is if you allow it to be. Of course we can't get rid of the mind in this Human form at this point in time, but you absolutely can detach from it, observe it with no thoughts, and let it run it's douse without effecting you. Of course that's very hard to do but it's not impossible.

Namaste my friends :)

10. Perfect

11. This is the basis of the "addiction cure" I'm in the process of devising. Addiction is a disease of the mind and carnal body. Control the mind and you control the carnal body/cravings/emotions. Control those, and you hold addiction under foot like the head of the snake.

Matthew 4:8Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
    9And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
    10Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

What he really means is "I will not bow to you, but the contrary you will bow to and obey me". That translation isn't correct like much of the Bible to begin with.

This is the mystic meaning of that passage, to control the mind, and thus control both poles of the astral light and use them to serve you instead of them acting through you unconsciously (which has been falsely personified as a being named Satan, when it is a blind force, the negative pole of the astral light)