Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Connection between Marijuana and weight loss.

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Ebony, Mar 12, 2016.

1. G'day tokers,

I noticed awhile ago (probably around about 1 year ago now) that i lost a lot of weight if i controlled my munchies and ate slightly better without even really having to exercise?

I was wondering if anyone else has experience something similar to this, or if there is any scientific reasoning behind this happening?

Cheers guys!

• Like Like x 1
  2. I wish this would work for me, but I can never control the munchies, when they come I hit the dorrittos hard

• Like Like x 1
  3. Try and put fresh fruit around you, or have some healthy food in the fridge that you can quickly warm up!
    Trust me, fruit and healthy food gets amazing when you've had a few cones!

4. I have experienced this. As a daily smoker sometimes smoking will mess up my appetite for a week and I will pig out when I get the munchies and not eat much the rest of the day. Its these weeks that I notice I look a little slimmer and my weight will usually fluctuate 5 lbs give, or take.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. I lost about 8 pounds in about 6 months after I started dabbing. For me, thr weight loss thing is real. Never really been a snacker type person though. Weed barley effects my appetite.

6. It drives the wife crazy that I don't get the munchies.

But I can say that after we started eating brownies at night for sleep, I have dropped about 25 lbs. And this is eating a brownie made with coconut oil every night.

So yes it can work to aid weight loss.

7. Weed controls my appetite so that I end up at a heathy weight. It's one of the reasons I use weed, among anxiety, stress and depression.

If I quit weed my weight sky rockets even if my food consumption stays pretty stable. I think it might have to do with metabolism vs munchies.

PS: it only happens if I vape daily, when I was skipping days my appetite was really messed up.

8. Coconut oil/MCTs do seem to be a very in thing for eating healthier at the minute.

9. I lost 60 lbs after smoking cannabis. On a diet of sandwiches and pizza everyday.

• Like Like x 1
  10. #10 Heywoon, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    I was researching this phenomenon myself for a while now as well. It seems scientists are just beginning to dig into this effect of cannabis. I think the changing view of politicians of the drug has made more room for research into the beneficial effects. Prior to this cannabis was only reported for its appetite and caloric intake stimulation and thus linked to weight gain. This conclusion seems false though, as is being reported in many articles now.

Even though cannabis users tend to eat more, they're still skinnier and (way) less likely to be obese than the general population, even when corrected for other factors (tobacco smoking/age/sexe etc.) I personally think it has to do with marijuana's effect on insulin sensitivity, increased metabolism, possibly the (up)regulation of the neural dopamine and/or CB1 receptors. Maybe even gluconeogenesis induction due to a significant decrease in blood sugar. That in particular would explain why weight loss is anecdotally only seen in stoners who can 'resist the munchies'.

Here are some articles you might like:

Cannabis and Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) for weight loss? - PubMed - NCBI
    Cannabis use and obesity and young adults. - PubMed - NCBI
    Cannabis use in relation to obesity and insulin resistance in the Inuit population. - PubMed - NCBI
    Obesity - Medical Marijuana Research Overview - Medical Marijuana Inc. (OTC: MJNA)
    Marijuana Munchies Hold Weight-Loss Clues

"Researchers have suggested that cannabis may have a broad-spectrum regulatory effect; it increases weight in those who are underweight and reduces weight in those who are overweight" (Sansone & Sansone, 2014)