Connecting new HDD

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by flashinthepants, Feb 28, 2012.

1. I acquired a 'new' hard drive from a PC i threw out due to constantly BSOD (on vista >.>) and want to seat it to my new tower as well as the master... pretty sure it's SATA, and sure the new PC has a SATA in too.

wondering if you guys could share any assistance in this task - i'm aware of the basics, but just need a general, preferably decent, description of how to go about this.

thanks in advance guise!

2. make sure the pc is off and unplugged. if your master HD is on sata 0, connect the second HD to sata 1 and don't forget to connect the power cable. that's pretty much it. you can then format it from windows.

3. how about connecting it to the power supply? or does it just go through the master?

and sata 0?

4. that's why I said, don't forget the power cable from your power supply.

on the newer motherboards sata ports are usually labeled as sata 0, sata 1, sata 2, sata 3 etc..

5. yeah i know you said that - but ive looked at guides elsewhere (wikihow isnt brilliant for detail) and it left me confused for where the power cable goes. i'll have to have a look inside again to check everything out i guess.

6. Oh, if your power supply doesn't have a sata power cable, you'll need one of these adapters

[​IMG]