congressman proposes 25 years in prison for pot

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by fiver643, Jun 15, 2009.

1. has anyone read this yet.

2. Word of advice; provide the article you are referencing; or at least quote from it.

U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk to push tougher sentences for more-potent marijuana -- chicagotribune.com

"U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk will call for legislation Monday that would toughen drug-trafficking laws regarding a highly potent form of marijuana, with penalties of up to 25 years in prison for a first-time offense.

The law would target offenders who sell or distribute marijuana that has a THC content exceeding 15 percent, which is between 5 and 10 percentage points higher than average marijuana, according to Kirk's office.

THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the main active ingredient in marijuana.

Drug dealers are increasingly cross-breeding plants to produce high-potency variants of marijuana, which are called "kush" in street slang when they have 20 percent THC, Lake County Sheriff Mark Curransaid.

Police have been turning up more of the high-potency marijuana in Lake County arrests, he said.

"When you amplify the strength of it, you are increasing the harm to the system," said Curran, who supports the legislation, which would amend a federal law. "They are more dangerous behind the wheel of a vehicle. It's not a good idea to have people that messed up."

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration has reported that kush sells for as high as $600 per ounce, creating the same profit potential as crack cocaine, Kirk said.

The Republican North Shore lawmaker said he plans to release more information during a news conference in Chicago on Monday, where he will be joined by representatives from the Lake County Sheriff's Department, the Lake County Metropolitan Enforcement Group and Waukegan Police Department."

3. Yeah, I've posted at least 25 comments on the different articles about it today.

It is idiot legislation!

4. wow is all i really have to say...what a prick

5. #5 Green Wizard, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2009
    I was wondering when this was going to happen. With all the recent headway towards legalization the neo-con right is having a knee jerk reaction. 25 years in prison for a first offense will never fly. If it does, we'll have ourselves a civil war.

dude that's creeepy

6. Lol, harm to the system, and crack cocaine being talked about in a weed proposal. These people sound stupid, weed isn't very harmful at all, and bringing up the crack cost is just a scare tactic.

7. whoever has been paying $600 an oz has been getting ripped off lmao

8. I would never pay 600 for an oz.
    ". . .high-potency variants of marijuana, which are called "kush" in street slang when they have 20 percent THC" WTF? That's not what it means. At least that's not how it's used over here. It is used to mean genetics (kush is an indica variety, right?). Hindu Kush mountains, thats where they originated right?

I may be wrong, but I thought it was this.

9. But..but...it's super dank 15% Kush!

10. That's b/c like with most subjectts they talk about and make decisions that affects millions of lives, polititans don't know anything about MJ. Anyone that tokes knows that the Kushs are a strains of MJ. It's just like how in Europe how they call all the 'scary, dangerous', strains of MJ as skunk.

11. ...da fuck? they want to waste even more money, putting people in jail longer and doing useless tests for THC content? Go fuck yourself Mark Kirk, i hope karma tears a new hole in your ass.

12. haha thats what i was thinkin'

13. thats crazy, i thought i did. oh well i must have been really high :smoke:

14. Watch all the dank go out of that area and it get flooded with regs.

15. This will never go through.

16. yet hard liqour is legal? i mean seriously, way to be hyprocritical lol

17. So I can drink 200 proof everclear, but god help me if I smoke '20% THC potent kush'.

18. #18 TeamSD, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2009
    But see theres a difference, Hard liquor allows one to relax while marijuana makes them sluggish, violent, and in-able to comprehend. this 15%+ thc content weed is the devils plant and inflicts much damage on peoples lives...alcohol hasn't had any ill effect what so ever on any family. Peoples families get torn apart by weed. Just yesterday my best friend smoked a single joint, his first, and he ended up in rehab thinking he was an orange. I seen him 1 hour prior to him getting locked up and he was wondering around aimlessly in town with green skin saying he saw the devil.

I think I will write a letter supporting this members view as 25 years for selling a plant is worth every minute for that crook as one who kills and actually takes ones lives with intent to harm only gets a few years in prison.

Selling a Plant > Mass murderers

Sorry but facts are facts

/end sarcasm

19. This is something I am not surprised about......the legalization movement is making so much headway in this early 2009 and it will only get louder. The neo-con right wing faggots are going to be pushing and doing whatever they can but shit just won't ever fly. This is going against everything that Jim Webb is pushing for, and he has so many supporters for his prison reform bill compared to this dickhead's fucking podunk ass proposal. We are going to see so much antilegalization propaganda very soon to try pursue anybody to change their point of view and that is when the people need to be educated.

20. Us being in a tough economic state and this mad man trying to make us spend even MORE money on putting users in jail, could turn out to be a good thing. IT could totally backfire for them and make legalization even easier.