confused on lighting

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Grassyblues, Apr 13, 2009.

1. hey all
    Ok, i am wanting to set up a seperate veg area, i want to place this setup in a closet that measures 2ft wide x 7ft long x 5ft tall.
    i realize that the space is very long and not wide so lighting will be tricky but it is in the correct spot within the living space and is easily ventable.
    my problem is i cannot decide on lighting for this space because of its odd shape i am worried about light distribution. since it is for veg/clone/mother i was going to go with a t5 high output flour. set up, 2 fixtures, 1.) six 4ft tube set up and 2nd.) six 2ft tube set up, setting them up end to end and thus having the ceiling covered and no dark spots in this closet
    this area would permitt this but then again i dont hear all good things about h.o flourescents, would a mix of mh and t5 h.o.'s be better, or perhaps 2 lower watt mhs or even a lower watt hps and a lower watt mh???
    pls any info is greatly appreciated, i want to get this going but the more i read the more i cant decide lol:confused:

also flowering with a 1k hps system just incase any1 wondered or if matters (in a dif area of course)

2. Keep reading :D

If you are going to consider fluorescent lighting, read Kamel's CFL Guide.

3. T-5 Ho's will be perfect for this size area. Remember you will have to get two sets of tubes, one for veg and then swap them out to the reds for flowering. 4 ft T-5s will take up less than 2 ft width, you could actually buy some single strips as well and really increase you lumens. I would suggest going w/ a touch over 4ft and use the T-5's, you can fit about 3 or 4 plants in there and the T-5s will give you great yields as long as you swap out the tubes to the correct veg and flwoer spectrums.

less

4. You don't have to use that entire space for your veg chamber, you could pen it off to a smaller area if that will fit your needs. Fluoros will be fine for a veg chamber, the T5s sound like a good plan or you could go with CFLs. Of course, a 250w or 400w MH would be great but could cause heat issues in a closet.

5. thanks a lot for the input all, always helps, i found a t5 4ft 8 bulb system and it will still fit in the space alloted so 40k lumens instead of 30k (from the 6 bulb i mentioned) for just that 1 system. this will take up 2x4 in space which will leave another 2x3 area.
    do you think i should use a 250 watt mh in this area and simply move the plants every few days?, or perhaps another t5 2ft 8 bulb set up as i was gong to do.
    also should i go with all veg bulbs or maybe 6 veg/2bloom to promote growth as well as thickness?
    again this area is only for veg/clones/mothers so all lights in this space will be on the same amount per day (thinking 20/4 or even 24/0)

for flowering i have a 1000watt hps system in a different area so my only concern is getting the right light for vegetation in this 2x7x5 area
    thanks again everyone this site is great

6. If you plan on doing it that way, I would go w/ a 4ft T-5's red spectrum for a flowering chamber, and seal off the 2 ft area and use some 2ft T-5's Blue Spectrum for a veg/clone chamber and you could get yourself a nice continuous cycle going, over time you could easily harvest every 60-100 days and cycle clones in & out of your grow chambers.