Confused about nutes and ppm

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by bwitsne, Sep 1, 2011.

1. I am in the vegetative state currently, day 3. I want to start using my Sensi Grow Part A&B system that I bought as my second sets of leaves are now in.

Im totally confused about the PPM and mixing the nutes. Once I follow the directions on the bottles for mixing, I then measure my PPM and PH???

Is my seedling only supposed to get a certain PPM?

2. Normally your soil has all the nutes youll need for the first couple week. Add nutes to water, ph balance water.

3. yeah a seedling doesnt need any nutrients other than that found in plain ol tap water until the 3rd leaf set. after that its 1/4 strength of nutes. yes, after mixing your nutrients u want to measure the ppm so u know its not too strong and actually hurt the plant, or that its too dilluted where the plant cant uptake whats needed. u want to measure the ph also after mixing your nutrients so that u know it as at an adequate level for ur plant to absorb them, diff nutes have a diff ph, example- tiger bloom is very acidic while fish emulsion is only slightly acidic, this is why u must check each time- diff nutrients get locked out at diff ph, ideal ph for soil for maximum availability of the full spectrum of nutrients is between 6.3 and 6.9 ideally 6.5, for hydro u want a slightly more acidic range between 5.5 and 6.1 ideally 5.8 possibly lower for diff strains tho, good luck and happy growing!

4. Thats the thing, Im using Sensi Grow Part A&B because it has calcium and magnesium needed for growing. I am using RO water and I need these.

How do I know what PPM I need to be at? That is the most confusing. Does the more nutes I add the more the PPM goes up? Is that also a way of measuring my nutes instead of relying on the bottle.

5. #5 Ccoastal, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2011
    Yeah parts per million (ppm) refers to the unit of nutrients per million units or water i.e. 300ppm = 300:1,000,000 I'll get back to the cal mag when I got a lil more time but cheap kitchen tsp/tbsp measurers work great for nutes, as do shot glasses with the measures written on it

6. The smallest one I have is 2.5mL lol

So Ill just guess, but in reality it seems like I will only be using a few drops per liter, correct? Thanks for the help so far.

Is there any guide so I can know what PPM to be at?

7. If ur only on day 3 u need not worry at all, it needs only water until it gets it's 3rd leaf set, fox farms has some detailed break-downs out there from week 1 through harvest. Just google fox farm feeding schedule for images, should be easy to find