Conflicted

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by infinityplus1, Sep 17, 2010.

1. #1 infinityplus1, Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2010
    I'm in quite the sticky situation. (I apologize in advance if this is quite lengthy)
    There is this guy. He's amazing in every aspect. He's got great taste in music, an awesome sense of humor, and he's (almost) the perfect gentleman. Everytime we go out he offers to pay for my booze and my food, and he is always eager to pack a bowl.
    I absolutely adore his friends and family, and have become pretty close with them.
    We've been "dating" for over a year. Nothing serious, and no label.
    Our friends call us stubborn and insist that whether we like it or not, we're in a relationship. He's introduced me to people before as his "girl" and has even dropped the term "girlfriend" on a couple occasions. Everyone expects us to come as a pair, and they even refer to us as boyfriend and girlfriend. Whenever my friends ask abour him I just usually refer to him as my significant other. After all, that's what he is. Labels don't matter much to me, but it seems like the rest of society feels pretty strongly about them.
    He's very shy and the two of us haven't talked much about "us". In the beginning we talked a little bit about it, and neither of us wanted a serious relationship because we knew I was going away to school, and he just wasn't ready for one. I'm almost positive that I am the first girl he's ever been this close with. I usually have to initiate everything, and I'm also the one that calls him most of the time. I'm pretty sure he has feelings for me, otherwise I doubt he'd be wasting his time. We just don't communicate though. It makes me feel somewhat insecure. Especially since I don't really know where we stand with each other.
    I don't even know if we're exclusive. I doubt he's seeing other girls. And even though he's not my "boyfriend" I feel guilty seeing other guys, or even flirting with other guys. I'm in college and we're a few hours away from each other, and I've come to the conclusion that I really like him. I miss him like crazy and when a new friend of mine asked me if I loved him I laughed at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I do love him. Problem is, I still have no clue how he really feels about me. Does he miss me? Does he find me attractive? Does he love me? Do I bother him?
    I have no clue how to bring this up to him, or if I even should. I don't want to push him away and ruin what we have now. Plus I'm not going to see him face to face for another month and I don't think this is the kind of thing to talk about over the phone...or is it? Either way, he hasn't called me once since I've started school. I've called him a few times, and he's always seemed eager to talk, but the fact that he hasn't called me is something that makes me wonder even more...
    GC I am asking for your advice. What do you think I should do?

2. No takers?

Maybe if I shorten it...
    Summary: Been seeing this guy for over a year, but never established a relationship, or even talked about "us" or our feelings. Now I'm away at college, and I've realized I love him. Unsure as to if I should tell him how I feel or just leave things the way they are. Would really appreciate some advice from my fellow blades :)

3. i don't know.

4. I hate giving this advice because I'm often-times one of those people that can't take it myself, but you should really stop trying to contact him. Wait to see how long it takes for him to contact you. You don't necessarily need to keep it up long term, but at least see how long it takes for him to realise you're not around.

As for the rest of it, I kind of understand, except in my situation it's long distance ALL the time. He and I, toward the end of this month, if not already, are going on a 2 year love affair. I've had a boyfriend in the midst of it because we have never established an "us". We're an "us" when I visit, we'll often talk 24/7, we talk about things I can't talk about with hardly anyone else on levels that are unmatched by anyone else for sure... but it's too complicated of a situation. I'm luckily in a position where I can write him a letter as opposed to calling him, and I'm laying our entire situation and my issues with it out on the line.

As for yours, like I said, wait it out, let him come to you... It'd be easy for me to tell you to ask him where you stand, let him know what your feelings are, and all those things that women like to talk about, but the stereotypical situation usually leaves things not ending too well when things go like that.

Basically, I gave you no advice, except to make him miss you, but it's hard to give advice on the rest when I'm in such a similar boat.

5. He's doing everything right, but he's just not talking to you, right? And you wonder what that means.

Well, it means he likes a lot x a lot, but he's not sure if he loves you.

May be he's never been in love.

Do you guys say 'I love you.' to each other?

6. I'm not a huge fan of tests like cutting off contact with him. I don't like games like that.

If you love him you should tell him and see how he reacts. Hiding your feelings and keeping them buried will only prolong the situation. I do agree that it's a conversation you should have in person in a month rather than over the phone immediately.

You say "labels don't matter much to you" but look where you are without them. You have no idea where you stand with one of the more important people in your life ;)

7. Thats true, you don't need to look at "labels" so negatively since they are only there to let you know where you stand, not just to be immature about it.

He also sounds really shy, I remember the first girl I went out with I wasn't able to initiate things or make any moves because I was shy, its like something was stopping me from doing what I wanted to do because of some subconscious worries I guess I had.

I don't know how but try and get him to take the initiative more, like try and get him to decide on things and just anything that will make him more in control, if things work out for you and I hope they do.

8. just talk to him about it. He hasn't had many close relationships like yours, and doesn't know how to communicate his feelings to you.

I'm was in a similar situation, just "dating" a guy, but in the end, I had to leave him after a year, because we were both insecure about getting serious (he was leaving for vet school). we were trying harder to keep things "casual" when our efforts could have been spent talking about reality.

we didn't talk to 4 months, and then he finally called me up saying he missed me very much and he wanted me to be a part of his life again, even just as friends. My advice would be to tell him your feelings, now. Don't wait around and play games. If you want an answer, demand it right now. Don't waste your time just guessing.

Communication is everything in relationships. Good luck

9. Tell him the truth, it's better to get it out now then another year down the road when you're even more emotionally invested.

Don't make a big deal out of it, but make yourself clear. Something like: 'I thought we'd grow apart when I went off to school, but I miss you loads and I've come to realize that I love you, and I hope that you feel the same.

That should get you a yes or no answer if he has one to give. If not, he'll at least know how you feel and can think about it.

10. Go and see him again, go out like you always did, pack a bowl, laugh and chill together. Then tell him how you feel, and see what he says. If he's shy then you may have to make the first move. It sounds like a true love story to me, Mighty Jah bless you both and protect you and I and I hope it turns out for the best :hello:

11. Woah woah woah woah woah. I've been in a few longterm/serious relationships, my best advice here...COMMUNICATE. So far it seems you guys essentially are just glorified best friends. And that's fine and all, but you have strong feelings...you want him to be your lover, correct?

If you want to have intimacy on that level communication is definitely key. Are you sure that he's reciprocating these feelings? How could you be without asking? I would suggest maybe writing to him...a long message about how wonderful the times you've been together have been etc, etc, but tell him you are curious as to what goes on underneath.

My guess is, since you said you're pretty much the first, he's shy in perusing the romantic aspect of the relationship. He may even be a little insecure. He may feel the exact way you feel. You should take the initiative to find out though, because he's either feeling the same anxiety you feel or he's an ass and he's not giving it much thought. You owe it to yourself and that relationship to find out.

I hope it all works out in whatever you decide to do...but I hope you just talk. Talking and communicating will do wonders. We cannot go based upon feelings alone...our hearts and our minds need to be expressed especially if you expect to share that part of yourself with someone. Good luck, sweetie.

:wave:

12. Straight up ask him about his feelings for you. I was in a situation just like yours and at first everything was too good to be true. Then one day he stopped texting me so I confronted him instead of guessing and he admitted that he wasn't ready for a relationship. I had to initiate everything and yeah, he went along with it mostly just because he liked my FRIENDSHIP and company in general. He didn't want to be alone. That could be the case.

As hard as it may seem, don't contact him first. Do your thing but don't flaunt it in his face, just be genuinely happy with other aspects of your life and everything will fall into place after that.

13. I don't usually like it either, but girls can become pretty self-conscious when they're constantly the ones contacting a guy. We start to overanalyze, we wonder if the only reason we're talking to them is because we contacted them...
    It's nice to know that the person would still contact you if you didn't initiate it first. I'm not saying to do it over some long period of time... just once is usually enough to make you feel better.

Like I said before, though... I'd be horrible at giving advice for the rest of it.

14. Thank you all so much for all of your advice and help! As always it's greatly appreciated.

We've never said it before. I wasn't even sure I loved him until a couple weeks ago when I realized how much I miss him. He's said he likes me before, and told me he thinks I'm beautiful a few times. But that's about it, aside from some random cute stuff.

Yeah I guess your right. I shall wait until I can see him and sit him down and tell him how I'm feeling. I just hope that if he doesn't feel the same way...we can still be friends. That's what I'm most worried about, is him getting freaked out and then our friendship is ruined too. Especially since his friends and family have now become my friends. I'm perfectly find telling people he's my significant other, I just want to know what that entails.

The thing is...I don't really want a relationship. I'm fine right now with the way things are, especially since I am in school. I guess I just want some closure and just want to know where I stand with him. I want to know if we are exclusive or not, or at least how far he wants this "thing" we have to go.

15. sounds like, in the beginning, you were very secure with the relationship. in the back of your mind, somewhere, you knew you were the pursued. now it's kind of unknown. you went away and he didn't pursue you actively. he probably doesn't want to get attached himself, thinking, with no label or any significant discussion, you'll find someone else. he's probably just as confused as you are. now you have to question wether if you're looking for the gratification in knowing he feels the same way or if you're looking to somewhat secure a stronger relationship. maybe talk about your feelings, have an honest relationship, communication is key, this will truly help resolve any differences and doubts. good luck!