Confirmation of grow plausibility

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by TristanPrice, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Confirmation of grow plausibility
    This is my first grow~
    Okay what I'am asking is if someone knows my light setup will work.

• I currently have 2 20w cool white CFL's that equal 100w, producing 1050lumens each and a colour temp. of 4000k each.

• 1 20w warm white CFl equal to 100w, producing 1152lumens and a colour temp. of 2700k.

• I have the 3 fixtures screwed to a board leaving the lights about 2 inches above the plants.
    • The lights over 3 plants and are currently set on an 18/6 time
    I still need to invest in a fan, but other than that should I be on the way to some decent plants.

Details of attached photo:

• I got some new pots with a woodchip layer on the bottom for drainage and premium soil
    • Bottom light will be for a single mother plant on 24/0

Attached Files:

2. Any light will grow cannabis since it is a plant ;). But you want 100w to a plant. Now with CFLS you'll see many claiming to be 20w being 100w for example. To the plant it's a 20w light in my experience and although it may put out the same light it isn't the same light. In baked so I'm prob no help.

3. So in other words I need more lights.
    Say 5 in total for 3 plants?

4. transplant them ASAP into a container in which light cant hit the roots!

or use tape on your containers.

light will damage the roots.

5. I've changed them into ordinary pots because half coke bottles was a stupid idea ha

6. Those 20w CFLs are not "equivalent" to 100w, maybe more like 75w. Go by the lumens to compare, and 100w incandescents are around 1600 lumens each.

7. you should make a flowering chamber in the bottom and harvest 2x as often

8. Alright sounds like a smarter idea than hogging the room for a mother.
    My plants are still only as tall as a pinky finger, so I wont think about setting up the bottom half for a couple more weeks.
    But what you recommend I use for a flowering chamber?

9. Doesn't matter what they're "equal to", you have 60w worth of lights. Get two more minimum for one plant.

1 plant, max.

And it will be light starved.

10. Cheers, I guess I'll stick the other 2 back outside and rig up some more lights.

11. Update: I've found 2 150w par38 floodlight globes.
    Would these work better than the cfls?

12. They sound like incandescents, in which case definitely not better.

Ultimately the best available measure of what you need is lumens, not watts. Wattage is just a measure of electricity consumption. Computers and hair dryers and microwave ovens consume watts but don't put out light. Lumens is not a great measure of light but it at least is a readily available measurement for bulbs. You want about 5,000 lumens per plant. Keep in mind that, depending on your configuration, a bulb can do double-duty (shine on more than one plant), but also keep in mind that with CFLs you need to keep them close to the plant, for any given plant you can't count lumens from a CFL bulb that is more than a few inches away.

13. so this sounds similar to my grow and i had similar questions. My box is like 3 foot tall but 6 foot long and i was using 2 48" fixtures with 40w cfls( 3000 lumines a bulb 6500k for veg) and planning on adding two more fixtures. I am placing the fixtures on the long sides one at the top and bottom and right now my seedlings are beside one light and under another( that i ll be raising as they grow) on the same side. Does it sound like i ll have lighting problems with this setup? if so what could i add that would be best compliment this setup. I figured they'd be ok getting the light from the bottoms and top once i add a reflective surface as well on the walls and ceiling.