Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Confer to me your scholarly wisdom!

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by pilka214, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Hello friends,

I have been graced with the opportunity to Debate the legalization of illegal drugs, including marijuana, in my college Ethics class. So I've scoured the web for the professional speak of why it should be legal, but i want your opinions. The most knowledgable enthusiasts of all, bestow to me your arguments for the legalization of our beloved herb!

Thanks a million

I want some kickass ideas to throw at my opponent!:hello:

2. #2 Outis, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
    You could do part of the debate on prohibition-related organized crime

3. Do a part on Henry J. Anslinger and another part on benefits to society if legalized.

4. Granny / storm crow come out come out wherever you are

5. compare Alcohol and Marijuana

Alcohol - domestic abuse, drunk driving, fatal when overdosed, LEGAL

Weed - happy, hungry, sleepy, ILLEGAL

look up Prohibition

alcohol was legalized cause the government realized bootleggers were making a killing off smugglin illegal booze
    however, with weed not as much money could have been made

6. Smoke em up before or after your speech. Talk about how it helps me (name drop me in your short speach) relax after a hard day at work and doesn't do any harm to my body or mind like alcohol does. Then give a speech about my alcoholism and how weed helps me with that also, providing only benefits to my health rather than hindering them like alcohol does. After that it might be your turn to hit the piece again.

7. Well it really depends if your argument is for all drugs to be legalized or Just marijuana... You can't use the same reasons Marijuana should be legal to explain why... say acid or crack should be legal.

8. Lsd actually has therapeutic benefits, so you can't really group it in with crack or meth. Just FYI.

9. Yeah LSD is pretty safe and non toxic.

OP, focus on how the illegality of cannabis creates the need for a black market and crime. Legalization could boost the economy a little. It could also replace the dominant, harmful drugs like alcohol and cigarrettes with a more benign and relaxed leaf. Talk about the dangers of popular mainstream drugs and show why Cannabis is superior and the smartest choice. Talk about the medical benefits of this wonder plant. Denounce the crimes and medical side effects of Big Pharma. Marijuana, if paired with the right personality, can bring wonders about. It is Nature's gift to Humanity!

Share the herb! Taste the hashis! Sow the seed everywhere and make it prosper! Sprinkle the world with Wisdom and Truth! Enlighten souls with the herb! You sacred plant, beautiful and perfect, you truly are a blessing in this mad world.

[​IMG]

“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

10. Well, start off with the fact the the United States government should have no legal ability to keep you from putting something into your own body. Or that being as the war on drugs is a total and complete failure they should cut their losses and send the money that's currently being placed into drug dealers pockets into their own through legalization. Holand is a fine example of a perfectly successful nation with decriminalized drug laws.

11. Marijuana provides motivation. Some people that are really sick find that medical marijuana helps them and gives them hope.
    Marijuana is grown, not made.
    Alcohol and tobacco are made by people and look where it has gone. People get addicted, lung cancer, and thousands upon thousands related deaths.
    Why did the government make this legal?
    Money. It's that simple they just want to make money, let's note that alcohol and tobacco is not used for medicine, wonder why?
    The only reason marijuana is illegal is because of the lies corrupt people in power put out. And the ignorance of some people to believe them.

12. Make sure to research prohibition and present that as well. It's a great tool to use for drug debates.

13. An arguement i bring up is in portugal(it might be spain, so look it up) its legal to do any drug, but if you get caught instead of arresting you they recommend you for rehab and stuff like it. It's a really smart idea if you ask me.

14. I don't want to take any ideas that aren't mine so I will tell you these few essays written by Owsley Stanley are among the brightest things I've read on the topic. ESSAYS 1

15. Here's a good start-

Popular intoxicants: what lessons can be learned from the last 40 years of alcohol and cannabis regulation? (abst – 2011) Popular intoxicants: what lessons can be l... [J Psychopharmacol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Latest Studies Imply That Cannabinoids Are Protective Against Alcohol-Induced Brain Damage (news – 2011) Latest Studies Imply That Cannabinoids Are Protective Against Alcohol-Induced Brain Damage

Why Medical Marijuana Laws Reduce Traffic Deaths (news - 2011)
    Why Medical Marijuana Laws Reduce Traffic Deaths | Healthland | TIME.com

Marijuana To Control Alcohol Abuse (news - 2010)
    Marijuana To Control Alcohol Abuse | Psych Central News

Marijuana May Offset Alcohol-Induced Cognitive Impairment Among Teens
    (news – 2010) Marijuana May Offset Alcohol-Induced Cognitive Impairment Among Teens

Study Overturns Decade-Old Findings in Neurobiology: Research Suggests Potential Target for Drugs to Combat Alcohol Addiction (news - 2010)
    Study overturns decade-old findings in neurobiology: Research suggests potential target for drugs to combat alcohol addiction

White Matter Integrity in Adolescents with Histories of Marijuana Use and Binge Drinking. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | White matter integrity in adolescents with histories of marijuana use and binge drinking. PubMed Journal article abstract

Maternal Marijuana use not Associated with Psychotic Symptoms , but Alcohol is
    (news - 2009)
    Maternal Marijuana use not Associated with Psychotic Symptoms , but Alcohol is

Pregnant Women Smoking Pot Could Reduce Infant Mortality (news - 2010)
    Pregnant Women Smoking Pot Could Reduce Infant Mortality

Report: Marijuana Less Harmful than Alcohol or Tobacco (news - 2008)
    http://www.jointogether.org/news/headlines/inthenews/2008/report-marijuana-less.html

THE RACE/ETHNICITY DISPARITY IN MISDEMEANOR MARIJUANA ARRESTS IN NEW YORK CITY (full - 2007) THE RACE/ETHNICITY DISPARITY IN MISDEMEANOR MARIJUANA ARRESTS IN NEW YORK CITY

Hemp Ethanol Saves the World (1) – The Economics of Hemp Fuels (article – 2008)
    HEMP ETHANOL SAVES THE WORLD: Part One: The Economics of Hemp Fuels

Hemp Ethanol Saves the World (2) - The History of Hemp Fuels (article – 2008)
    HEMP ETHANOL SAVES THE WORLD: Part Two: The History of Hemp Fuels

Hemp Ethanol Saves the World (3) – The Politics of Hemp Fuels (article – 2008)
    HEMP ETHANOL SAVES THE WORLD: Part Three: The Politics of Hemp Fuels

Hempcrete - Hemp Building Materials - Hemp For Houses (news – 2009)
    Hempcrete - Hemp Building Materials - Hemp For Houses | Hemp News

High on Life? Medical Marijuana Laws and Suicide (full – 2012) http://ftp.iza.org/dp6280.pdf

Deaths from Marijuana v. 17 FDA-Approved Drugs (Jan. 1, 1997 to June 30, 2005) (report - 2009) Deaths from Marijuana v. 17 FDA-Approved Drugs - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

Four percent of adults worldwide using cannabis (news – 2009)
    Four percent of adults worldwide using cannabis - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent

Marijuana-Related Health Costs Minimal Compared To Those Of Alcohol, Tobacco (news - 2009) Marijuana-Related Health Costs Minimal Compared To Those Of Alcohol, Tobacco

The FDA has written documentation that patients can overdose on Marinol and that it can be lethal (news - 2009)
    The FDA has written documentation that patients can overdose on Marinol and that it can be lethal - National Cannabis Revolution | Examiner.com

And that doesn't even cover the medical uses! If you need more, send me an email! Good luck! :D

Granny :wave:

16. Well you could mention how alcohal & tobacco are more harmful and they're legal.

You could mention what Portugal's done with legalization (it's minor but still) as well as Amsterdam & I think Holland too?

You could also argue marijuana is illegal because hemp was going to put paper out of business.

I also know there's a website where Obama lets people post what they think is wrong with the country/laws or opinions or something? And it's like 1 out of every 5 is related to marijuana.

Personally I don't think most people have a problem with it, but unless police can find a way to test whether or not you're high on the spot (like the breathalizer) I don't think mary j will be legal anytime soon. (unless there already is one >_>)

Plus it's the drug of choice and nowadays there are several movies & shows centered around it.

It's only a matter of time..
    They must just be afraid people will start growing it everywhere or somethin