Concerns about heat issues in 4x4x7 tent with 1000w MH/HPS

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by nt3grals, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Okay so i am planning on using my 4x4x7 tent with a dimmable digital 1000w virtual sun cooltube hood and ballast. Only planning on starting out with 4 plants at the moment. What would you suggest for the cooling? Im trying to stay under $700 or so in the build initially. I am also planning on a carbon filter with 6in fan for ventilation. Any suggestions would be great as i am new to growing with hps/mh. Always used cfl's until now.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. For a room that small would it be better to use a 4in virtual sun fan and carbon filter to exhaust the room, & then use a 6in virtual sun fan to cool the hood? The 4in fan has an airflow of 192cfm & the 6in has 500cfm. Would that be enough for the room? Should i also have a small intake fan to bring new air into the room?

3. I use a 1000 watt hps with a XXL hood with the glass to keep the heat in. I use a 6 inch vortex connected directly to the hood with a tiny bit of ducting between. The vortex sucks the air through a carbon filter that is on the right side of hood, through the hood then directly out of the tent. The only time I get above 85 is in the summer time and all I have to do is run my house ac.

4. Here is a 5x5 screen of green with the setup I just explained.

Attached Files:

5. #5 Fataqui, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2016
    Right now I am doing the four plant thingy. I am doing it in a 30 x 30 x 72 using a 1k with a cool hood reflector. I am running a passive setup. 4 inch intake from the outside, for the exhaust I am running 4 x 12 220cfm carbon filter. The 4 inch vent coming out of the carbon filter turns into a 6 inch vent outside the tent. That 6 inch exhaust vent is hooked to a 330CFM fan that vents back to the outside. When the light is off it runs at 140cfm, when the light is on it runs at 280cfm. For my cool hood reflector, it has a 6 inch vent coming from the outside, and before it goes into the tent, it gets hooked to a 260cfm that only runs when the light is on. I push air through my cool hood reflector. The exhaust for my cool hood reflector goes down in my basement, I am pushing the air so that exhaust never smells no matter how stinky it is in the tent. Running @ 1k my grow tent temp never gets higher than 73. But most of the time it is 71 degrees. I included (2) pictures, 1, above the light, 2, below the light.

Attached Files:

6. Thanks guys!