Concern About Water Droplet Size Doesnt Make Sense To Me?

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by bound, May 21, 2013.

1. So there's always talk of getting certain size water droplets from your system for aero.  But once the droplets touch down on the roots, don't they jsut condense into larger drops anyway?  I've been reading up a lot, and this is the one thing that keeps bugging me.  I've run across one or two articles that say it doesn't matter in the least, but the bulk of the stuff says it does.

Anybody have the time for an explanation of what I'm missing, if anything?  Thanks so much!

2. 50 micron droplets are small, you can fit 8000 of them into a cubic millimeter.

3. I'm not sure what you're trying to say.  What I'm asking is who cares if your sprayer sprays 50 micron droplets if they just immediately form larger droplets when they touch together on the root.

4. 0.4ml of liquid nutes converted into 50 micron droplets will completely fill a 20gal chamber with mist that hangs for 1-3 minutes. If all the droplets condensed on one spot you`d still only have 0.4ml. The droplets float around, surrounding the roots and are absorbed on contact.
    The trick is to match the timing to the uptake, too long a pause between mistings causes the roots to dry out over time, too short a pause between mistings gradually overwets the roots.
    Here`s a pic that highlights the difference.
    target moisture level.jpg

5. #5 Bossdodge187, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
    if you can hit the right micron size your roots will adapt and form a very fine covering of hairs, technically called microvilli, the massive increase of surface area from these hairs increases the ammount of nutrient the plant is able to absorbe, and this is what gives aeroponics a true advantage over nft (what you are describing i.e. large droplets forming on roots)

6. Its not so much that the root hairs allow the plant to uptake more nutrients as you have to use a much lower EC than hydro. The gain in efficiency comes from fewer plant resources being needed to grow root hairs versus solid roots. The root hairs grow at a much faster rate than solid roots. They are short lived, just a few days, but are constantly replaced.

7. 50 micron root hair development..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGNo95f4dI4[/video]