Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Concentrates Addictive?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by MileHighPotHead, Jun 17, 2013.

1. #1 MileHighPotHead, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
    Yea so I went and bought my SSV from a certain headshop in Denver.  Upon purchasing the vape the clerk said "yea stick to those greens, concentrates will get you addicted".  I was like DA FUCK?  
    I'm pretty sure he was just high as fuck, but has anyone else heard of BHO and CO2 concentrates being physically addictive?  Are these chemicals safe to be inhaling as a byproduct of concentrates exposed to a high temperature?

BTW I'm not talking about the bullshit, "aw man I'm tryna get high" addiction.  I'm talking about the physical necessity that is associated with the more hardcore drugs.  

Not THC being addictive, I'm asking about the concentrates and the chemicals specific to them.  What would make my clerk say to steer clear of dabbing?

2. The line between physical and psychological addiction is nowhere near as clear-cut as you're making it out to be. The physical and psychological are intrinsically connected. The only real line you can draw is, "Will stopping this cold turkey possibly kill me?" Some drugs don't make that cut, but most do....and they can still be completely addictive.

Yes, marijuana can be addictive. Marijuana withdrawal can (and actually usually does) lead to physical symptoms. These are much more mild than those involved with most other recreational drugs, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. This is, of course, going to be more pronounced if you've been using concentrates. This shouldn't be a revelation to anyone. 

3. #3 MileHighPotHead, Jun 17, 2013
    I have quit MANY times cold turkey and have not once received any physical symptoms whatsoever.  Hell I'm on day 9 of my first break in 3 years.  Granted I wanted to blaze, but that's no addiction.  I want coffee every morning too..  But the people who drink alcohol every night have difficulties: falling asleep, staying active, eating, ect.  Those are physical symptoms.  

You can argue anything is addictive, if you stop chewing gum you'll probably bite your lip, if you stop eating candy you'll probably get sick, if you start taking a protein supplement along with your regular food your body will take time to adjust to the change and you'll probably have the shits.  I'm not talking about this half-assed addiction, I'm asking about if BHO=Cigarettes/alcohol in terms of addiction.  It is obvious weed itself isn't given the documentation of physical withdrawal symptoms and both of these items, but what about BHO/CO2?

No one I have ever met who has been through withdrawals have EVER claimed to be addicted to weed.  I just got done arguing with someone over this topic so could we not do it again?  

That really didn't AT ALL answer my question.  I asked if BHO/CO2 themselves could be catagorized as more addictive than flowers.

The guy at the headshop didn't say "weeds addictive" he said "smoke/vape weed and stay away from concentrates"

4. I Don't think that concentrates are addictive or at least not that addictive. But how do you like the silver surfer lol.

5. Love it haha.  Best investment ever.

6. #6 Meursault, Jun 17, 2013
    Rofl. Learn to Google. 

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=marijuana+withdrawal&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C5&as_sdtp=

There are definitely a lot of people like you out there who don't experience withdrawal symptoms and that's real cool I'm happy for u bro. I just wish that you'd stop telling people like me, who do, that we don't exist.  <_<

And I don't care what the guy at the headshop says. The scientific literature, and personal experience, shows that marijuana itself can lead to withdrawal symptoms. It only stands to reason that these symptoms would be more pronounced in those using concentrated cannabinoids, no? You asked a question....but you don't seem too keen on hearing the honest answer...

7. I can't think of the right word, but he may have been using it similarly to "You nearly scared me to death!" And it was figurative not literal.

8. Your choice of emotican made me laugh.

9. Recent studies show that young teens who start smoking chronically at the age of 16 and younger do get addicted to weed if they keep on smoking.

It only makes sense.  A man's brain doesn't stop growing till the age of 25 so imagine how undeveloped a brain of a 13-16 year old's is.  Smoking changes and reroutes the pathways in the brain and THC is needed to feel normal or some shit like that.  It was on Drugs Inc for marijuana I think.

I've had withdrawal symptoms from bud. Nice to meet you.

If you can get addicted to bud, you can get more easily addicted with concentrates. Its mainly a habitual thing, but potency/thc in system is a factor.

11. #11 Biltwellnigga, Jun 17, 2013
    I can actually say that my self who started smoking around 14 and chronically since 16 have felt psychological withdrawals.  Is it bad enough to make me feel more depressed, sometimes depending on my current mood and when I suddenly think about smoking but can't and haven't for awhile. 

Is it crippling like cocaine and benzo withdrawals which I have plenty of experience with? No not even close but withdrawals are withdrawals and it doesn't make you feel any better.

Only upside of pot withdrawals are they come and go and you get over it fast unlike other drugs that make you sweat, shake, have no energy, no appetite, no sleep, the list goes on.

Edit: Btw it also largely depends on your minds health and the age of when you started smoking.  If you are someone who has no depression problems or mental illness in your blood you will probably be fine especially if you started smoking near your last teen years and more close to a fully developed brain.

12. For some.*

I've definitely experienced all of those physical symptoms in near-debilitating ways solely from weed and concentrates. Without mentioning specifics, I'll say that I've gone through withdrawals of all kinds and I wouldn't rate a cannabinoid withdrawal as qualitatively different than w/d from most depressant-type drugs. For me, it only differs in severity, and even then....it's not usually as big a difference as most people would expect....

13. Very true. I should've have written an "I" instead of "you"  Everyone is different. 

I've never even smoked modern day concentrates but only hash here and there so I can't even say from personal experience with those products. 

14. The answer, at least for most people, is no. Cannabis has a very low potential for addiction. If you don't have trouble with flowers, you should be fine with properly prepared concentrates, though be aware of their potency.

15. You'll get so high.

16. Cold sweats, have no energy, no appetite, no sleep, minimal expression of emotions, depressive thoughts, and even an almost serious thought of ingesting unmentionables so escape the feeling of withdrawing to sobriety. This is what happens to me when I quit smoking for a day it more. I show signs of depression and mal nutrition to be honest though. So I definitely believe in physical withdrawal symptoms, but I'm sure my current health amplified those negative effects. Another thing, these symptoms don't seem as strong when I approve of a week or less T Break vs. When I run out of weed. So psychology is also a huge factor, at least for me.

17. #17 MileHighPotHead, Jun 17, 2013
    Dude wtf why start a fight? 

ALL I ASKED WAS IF CONCENTRATES ARE MORE ADDICTIVE.
    still haven't answered my question.

I am not referring to the % THC in cannabinoids being addictive, but the chemicals they use to extract.  It would be fair to argue they would be LESS addictive because you are using a very small quantity for the most part as compared to a large amount of flower.  No?

When did I say you didn't exist? Read my posts on other threads.  I just said that you are COMPLETELY off topic.  Please stop, post about the topic or go to a different topic and rank about withdrawals.  I just want to know if anyone has knowledge of the chemicals such as butane causing physical damage or addiction.  If you get addicted to THC you need some willpower.  I just want to know if I keep dabbing out if I'm going to end up in the street feining for wax like a hardcore, broke, addict.  Cuz when I blaze I go fucking hard and I'm getting on this wax life recently.

18. Lol, who's fighting? Simmer down sir.

And I answered your question twice. 

"The scientific literature, and personal experience, shows that marijuana itself can lead to withdrawal symptoms. It only stands to reason that these symptoms would be more pronounced in those using concentrated cannabinoids."

If you're looking for anything other than a logical extension of the research that exists on marijuana, then you are out of luck. There aren't yet any peer-reviewed studies on the topic that solely looked at concentrates, to my knowledge. 

I

Been smoking since sixth grade, every single day.  Have quit probably 10 times for month+.  I wouldn't consider myself addicted, but maybe I'm lucky.

Can we please get back on topic about if I'm killing myself/creating a fein by using concentrates such as shatter, budder, or wax

20. #20 MileHighPotHead, Jun 17, 2013
    Oi.
    I just can't get anyone to talk about concentrates.  Which isn't 100% THC, but as much of 33% other shit.  Is that other shit killing me?
    I still haven't seen one reference to "butane or CO2 "....  
    I don't care about if THC is addictive or what you think, but I want to know if exposing chemical extracts to extreme heat and then inhaling the byproduct is the best idea.