concealed carry holster advice

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by docleary, Jan 6, 2017.

1. this isn't a request for a holster to conceal the firearm, but does anyone have any recommendations for a medium frame, 6" revolver?

2. Anything from S&W. I'm a huge fan of everything they make and their revolvers are on point.

3. i meant holster lol, already have the wheelgun (6"GP-100) to put in. looking for a holster adept at strong side and crossdraw. even a harness crossdraw setup, what do they call it, bandalero? the only s&w wheelguns i could consider would have to be NIB and pre-"hillary hole". i don't buy used revolvers because there's no guarantee the previous owner didn't do a bunch of ignorant cowboy shit like spinning the cylinder fast and whipping it shut like in the movies.

i'm considering a 2.25" SP-101 in .357 magnum, although i'd rather have a 3" LCRx in .357 magnum.

4. Oh, I don't know about that but I'm not a big fan of cross draw or shoulder. I am a big fan of galco though like i said before. They might have something you like. I don't know about your area but here we have a few really really huge gun shops and a shit load of mom and pops that have nice selections try and recommend things and if they don't have what you like they will order something for you. Hell, there's one shop I like that makes custom holsters right by my house. They take your measurements and gun model and what you are looking for and a few days later you pick up your one of a kind holster.

5. i definitely don't want a shoulder holster for my GP-100, and the majority of strong side holsters i've seen are high riding type, which wouldn't be bad for a gun with up to maybe a 4", 4.5" barrel but in order to get a clean draw with a longer barrel one has to draw the pistol much higher straight up in order to clear the holster. that's why i'm looking for a holster that has two belt settings, crossdraw and a low riding strong side. i've even been looking at drop leg holsters, but haven't seen many good options for revolvers.

my local gun shops stock uncle mikes and allen nylon holsters, and occasionally fobus plastic. i'm thinking that i'm basically stuck with a bianchi holster, thats one of the only manufacturers that makes a holster for the exact model i have. most companies make holsters to fit up to the 4.2" GP-100, which if the bottom of the holster was open, might work for my 6" GP-100.

6. i sold my walther ppk/s today, i expressed my desire to pick up a small frame .357mag in conversation with a close friend of mine and he made an offer that i couldn't ignore. i was a little unsure of a snubnose .357, so i didn't drop a lot of money on a s&w or even a ruger (i'll eventually buy an sp-101, 100% sure of that). instead i sprung for a new-in-box taurus model 605, 2" barrel 5 shot revolver. so far i have zero complaints, and for the price i paid i'm very happy with my latest self-defense purchase. lets just say i could have bought 2 model 605s and still had enough money left over to buy 200rds of .357mag. i think that the 605 will be my daily carry gun and eventually it will be a dedicated automobile piece when i buy a ruger snubnose.

7. Taurus shouldn't be used as anything other than a range gun in my opinion, but if it's all you have it's definitely better than nothing. I'm sure some of them are reliable, but its just not a gamble I'd personally want to take. Hope you're happy with it tho, you shoot it yet?

8. I've never worn one, but I have trouble picturing how you're supposed to draw from a shoulder holster without cross drawing. Maybe it's because I have long arms? It just seems like having it at hip level would be way easier.

9. its not all i have, its just the easiest to conceal. you seriously took nothing else out of that post other than that i bought a taurus? i specified why it was that i bought a taurus snubnose. their semi-autos are garbage but as long as you know what to look for in a revolver/avoid used taurus revolvers, its not an issue or "gamble". the elitist attitude about guns is ridiculous, and i don't buy s&w partly because the ugly placement of the locks on their revolvers, and the people who buy them. i owned one (i can't remember the model # but it was a 4" .357) and it was shit compared to my gp-100, and the taurus 605 i bought is more pleasant to shoot. i'm pleased with the fit/finish of the 605 i bought, i was surprised. i'd say finish is almost as good as the gp-100 i own.

yes, i've shot it. its remarkably accurate in capable hands - at 15yds and using non-dominant hand (left-handed, training myself to shoot my pistols right handed as there aren't any ambidextrous revolvers) i had 3 shots outside/left of the center black rings (nra targets) due to jerking trigger/out of 35. i don't consider that bad considering the rear sight is only a groove in the top strap. it stages well. i think i'll either buy an lcr-x or sp-101 once i finish paying off my henry .357mag carbine.

10. I said "in my opinion". I also said I was sure some models are more reliable than others, theres no need to get defensive about it (punny, right?). The best handgun you can have is the one you don't leave at home. Didn't mean to sound like I was insulting your choice. Glad you shoot it well.

11. for "deep" concealment of a snubnose revolver, i would recommend desantis' "the insider". i managed to find one "locally" for my 60-14/original combat-style grip (yes, i bought a s&w). it sits so low that the grip of the revolver is just above belt-line, and combined with a wallet in the back pocket of the same side, its near impossible to tell the gun is there. it would have been a good deal if i paid the full price, but i got it for about 45% off the $28.99 msrp. i drove for ~10 hours yesterday while wearing the gun/holster and didn't find it to be uncomfortable, too.

12. Hello everyone,
    Me too also lookingfor good holster for my sig p226. I used a lot of brands but i couldn't find comfortable holster. My friend use alpharms holster he purchaseed from gun show. Alpharms also has online sale to AlpharmsUSA/ Concealed carry leather gun holster & Hunting equipment
    He says workmanship very good and so comfartoble. Now I'm thinking abaout order and i want to ask anyone know about this holster company how is your experience. Because price is very good. Please let me know if anyone knows.
    Thank you

13. i lucked out with the walther, bought it back from my friend, and bought a small-of-back galco holster for it. the holster was sort of awkward when i first got it so it ended up in the "holster drawer" of my bureau. recently i started carrying my very first purchased pistol, a FEG PA-63 in 9x18, and coincidentally (or not, considering it was designed after the walther pp series) it fits snugly in the "s.o.b." galco holster. to give an idea of the s.o.b. holster function, it has two loops for the belt, holds the gun not-quite-horizontal, magazine well up.

i think its one of the older galco holsters, from before they started selling other companies' products as their own.

the idea of that sketches me out, almost as bad as front pocket carry or appendix carry.

my occasional every day carry is a sig p320 compact and the size/heft of the gun has me almost exclusively using the kydex holster that sig sauer provided with the gun. i'm not a fan of active retention holsters, i.e. thumb breaks etc, i prefer a leather holster with a screw that allows adjusting the retention. the exception to that is a full-size "duty type" handgun, which i prefer either kydex or kydex/leather hybrid.

check out the third generation alien gear hybrids. they're expensive with longish wait period but the quality is great.

14. Mine is the galco summer comfort. I love how small and comfortable it is. No screws but retention is great. Very snug but still a smooth draw. I hate the small of the back position so the SOB would not be for me. I like 5 o clock.

15. it carries closer to 4-5o'clock depending on belt loops. (not my picture, this one is for a sig 230/232 but its one of the only pictures of the holster without a gun because i DoN't WaNnA GeT aN iNfRaCtIoN bRuH)

[​IMG]

but hey, at least we're not appendix carriers. i wonder how many people have accidentally shot themselves while carrying appendix..