concealed carry holster advice

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by docleary, Jan 6, 2017.

1. holster came in today, its a good fit for the walther ppk/s but i'm still trying to figure out the most comfortable and secure configuration. right now i've got it set on the shallowest depth with a slight forward cant, so the grip of the pistol is angled forward and the barrel back. i think i'll set it to the deepest setting, there's only two, but i think it may feel more secure, if not more comfortable.

2. #22 docleary, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    this desantis beats the hell out of an uncle mike's, that's for damn sure. needs to be broken in obviously, but its fairly comfortable and much easier to reholster than the soft uncle mikes in the pants holster i have for my lcp. speaking of the lcp, here's a picture of it on top of the cardboard box it came in.

• Like Like x 1
  3. so after about two days of wearing the holster on the deeper setting, i put it to the higher setting as an experiment to see if the holster would still cause my pants to bunch up within the clip, and also to see if it would be easier to draw the ppk/s from the holster. it fixed both issues, there's no digging for the grip or constantly adjusting the pants/holster. i'm very happy with this holster so far, we'll see how it goes wearing the holster in combination with a carpenter's tool belt/pouches this week. i still want to track down a quality, comfortable shoulder holster for winter-time, so i don't have to fight with reaching under my heavy carhart vest or coat. in the winter it's easy enough to conceal a shoulder holster within the many layers i wear up here in maine.

4. so i bought a cheap uncle mike's horizontal shoulder holster as the IWB was annoying me at work with my toolbelt. surprises me how easy to conceal the walther ppk/s is. not quite as easy to conceal as the ruger lcp, but its still nice. i also picked up another 300rds of .380 fmj's when i bought the holster, so tomorrow i plan on taking a couple hours to train with both the ppk/s and lcp, as i'm considering the lcp as a back up to hide on my ankle or in a faux-wallet type holster.

5. #25 docleary, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    picked up a couple more magazines for the ppk/s, one flush fit and one with pinky extension. i just feel like the one with the pinky extension are unnecessary on a ppk/s, although it may serve more of a function on a ppk. i mean, its not like an lcp that absolutely needs the extension unless someone is going for deep, deep concealment. shooting an lcp with a flush fitting magazine is a bit of a handful.

freshly cleaned and lubed up

6. I almost bought an LCP before I picked up my Shield but after trying one at the range I just couldn't get over that crazy long ass trigger. I like a nice crisp, clean break and the LCP is anything but that.

7. how long ago was that? the second generation of the original lcp aren't that bad. although its crazy to think that the lcr has one of the best dao triggers on the market, and the lcp just isn't as good. have you seen the new lcp-2? it's striker fired, i've been thinking that i may sell my 2nd gen lcp and get an lcp-2 if i can try one before deciding. but at the same time i want to get a 3" lcr-x .38+p, unless ruger makes a .357mag 3" lcr-x first. i want another wheelgun in my life. so many guns out there, and so little hobby money after messing around with my bmw 325iX.

8. Lcp 2 is a improvement, but for feel and gun I rather have a bodyguard from S&W. I currently use a glock 42, a snub .22 mag s&w and a TCP. The best carry I have shot or used is a sig P238/ colt mustang/ kimber micro. For weight and shooting noting better.
    We don't even stock the 3" LCR we're I work. They don't sell so I don't see the 357 coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. I think it was the original. The one I shot was about 3 years ago so probably not the 2. When I went to the gun shop that I got my Shield at I told the guy that I was thinking about buying the LCP but I just hated the trigger and asked him what else he might recomend and he replied "well, let's start with a better gun" and handed me the Shield. I bought it after I checked out a couple others as well and that was when the Shield was newly relesed and was damn near impossible to find. I saw recently that they are now making them in .45ACP with a ported barrel and upgraded sights so I'm thinking about trading in my Shield 9mm for the .45

• Like Like x 1
  10. its all personal preference, but i feel .45acp has no advantages to carrying it. its expensive, guns chambered for it have lower capacity than the same gun chambered in 9mm or .40s&w. don't get me wrong, i have a gun chambered in .45acp but i also have the same gun chambered in 9mm (1911s). but its a surprisingly slow projectile. in a defensive situation i'd rather have a couple extra rounds in the mag vs. a bigger projectile if that makes sense. in reality, i carry my .380acp pistols concealed more regularly than anything else - almost exclusively carry the .380acp pistols. sometimes if i'm going on a long drive i'll put my .357mag under the seat and have a .380acp in a holster on my person.

i think in a defensive situation shot placement and perhaps ammunition type are more important factors than caliber. smaller calibers often have less recoil which can translate into quicker, better aimed shots. that's part of why i carry .380acp.

11. I don't usually carry but I always look for something with some form of retention. I forget the brand but I have a leather thumb break holster for my G35. Also, buy a good belt. I love my Magpul "El Burro" belt and tactical Taylor riggers belts. The magpul was really grippy at first and annoying to use but it broke in well.

12. thanks. i'm currently saving up for a galco shoulder rig with spare mag cases, especially now that i've got 3 spares to carry. so far the most comfortable way to carry while i work construction due to wearing a toolbelt.

13. so i spent a little bit longer going through different shoulder holster designs and decided to go with a left hand triple k #274 in black leather. the straps look a little more comfortable than the galco, and it seems to be of at least the same quality. this will be my regular carry holster, and i've started buying more shirts to use with it. another thing to mention is that its a bit cheaper than the galco.

triple k #274
    [​IMG]

galco miami classic
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yeah just look at Galco, Safari, Alien...find the can't you like, retention device or not, inside waist band or on the belt, a nice quality belt is very important...
    I have many holsters for each gun...
    If I wear a suit I wear a shoulder holster, shorts... cross draw canted...I mostly prefer cross draw...it is an easier motion then same side and less chance to discharge on the draw...it carry cock n lock 1911 .45 acps...mostly.

15. I'd it just the pic or does that thing point the pistol straight back? It looks like you would be muzzle sweeping everyone you pass.

16. I carry in the pocket. The best option.

17. kind of a moot point due to the retention holding the hammer back.

also consider being on a floor above other people in a "regular" holster. you're flagging whoever might be below you.

18. At least there is a floor in the way and I only load hollow points for normal carry which would not usually penetrate even the shittiest of floors. I guess it's a matter of supply and demand and personal preference but I've always been staunchly against flagging anyone for any reason, even if you think your hammer is secure. I know a guy who got the side of his head blow off by not following that rule. First rule of weapon safety, "never point a weapon at anything you not intend to kill or destroy".

19. if a .380 hollow point can penetrate +6" into a hemlock block against the grain, your 9mm will do at least the same.

thats a lot deeper than your average floor unless you're lucky and it strikes a joist on end.

20. I know this isn't the most recent thread, but I carry a Ruger LC9S and use the Sticky Holster. You don't need a belt and it pretty comfy. You can actually carry IWB wearing sweat pants.