concealed carry holster advice

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by docleary, Jan 6, 2017.

1. so i'm looking for a new holster for my newest carry gun. its a walther ppk/s, most recently i've been carrying a ruger lcp in a cheap uncle mikes "inside the pant" holster, made of suede. its very comfortable and holds the lcp well with nothing for retention other than the texture of the fabric. the thing i really dislike is the amount of sweat the holster draws in and holds, for this reason i oil the holster up well at least once a week. but, the walther is stainless so i don't have to be as concerned with sweat marring the pistol's finish this go 'round.

i'm going to take a second to justify my using the ppk/s as a daily carry gun instead of the lcp, because i know someone will say something about it. i like the the idea of having a s.a./d.a. trigger in my carry gun, because even though i've practiced with the lcp enough to be comfortable with it, its d.a.o. and in the heat of the moment, i could see the d.a.o. trigger negatively impacting my shots. the ppk/s also holds an extra round, which isn't necessary for me but it also eases my mind a little. a few years ago my carry gun was a ruger lcr, so i don't mind limited capacity too much. besides, that's what a spare mag or two is for. i also like the thought of having a carry gun that locks the slide on the last round, where my lcp does not.

on to what i'd like from a holster: comfort is big, i've had uncomfortable holsters in the past and they can turn carrying into a chore. i have a small frame too (5'9, 130lbs) so concealment is also important. i would like to find an inside the waist band holster or inside the pant holster that sets deeply so that the heavy ppk/s is secure. another important factor is i'm left-handed, and would prefer not having to wait for a holster on back order. i like the looks of the desantis sof-tuck, but can't find any in left hand and not sure it sits low enough. my preferred carry position is about 7-8o'clock, with my pistol in the hollow between left hip and left butt cheek.

i've checked out some hybrid style holsters but have never owned one. so lets hear some opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  2. well after scouring the internet, i finally found a desantis sof-tuck for my walther ppk/s in left hand, got it shipped to my house for $30. figure that's a good starting point, with holsters you never really know what you'll like until you wear it for a few days. thinking that eventually i'd like to try the alien gear 3.0 hybrid, which i've heard and read good things about. i've also read a lot of good things about the desantis sof-tuck, but not specifically for a walther ppk/s.

we'll see how it goes.

3. I carry my Smith & Wesson M&P Shield in an IWB Galco and I forget it's even there. It is so comfortable. Galco is a bit pricy but if you are gonna wear it every day then it's worth the money.

• Like Like x 2
  4. #4 docleary, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    thanks, i'll look into those again. was recommended galco by theyankeemarshall (youtube gun guy). i just ordered the desantis sof-tuck to get me through the wait times that are associated with some manufacturers. i've only ever used IWB/ITP holsters for concealed carry. what is your m&p chambered for?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mine is a 9mm. You need to get that pic down quick before the mods see it and give you an infraction. They HATE guns here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Are you one of those guys that prays for somebody to fuck with you so you can use it? I mean do you ever fantasize about watching the bullet going through the skull? And maybe you would get away with it in self defense. So you race to GC forums to post about it in detail? I am all for the 2nd amendment, but they way you went on and on and on about this gun concealed on your person, makes me think that perhaps one day you pray you can use it on somebody. Am I correct?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. eh, fuck 'em. not like i'm talking about anything illegal. i don't have enough points to catch a ban for one infraction.

no, i don't pray i have to use it. guns are a part of the culture i live. i've been robbed at gunpoint and knifepoint. semper paratus. carrying a gun makes me a calmer and more responsible citizen, as i respect the responsibility it is to carry a firearm.

• Like Like x 1
  8. you have nothing to say now? i apologize if you take offense to a person with self awareness and a thinking mind. i don't have too many people to talk about these things off the internet, so i reached out in the proper sub-forum and tried starting the thread the best way i could - fully explaining my thoughts on the topic i chose. may i ask what it was about my posts that led you to draw those conclusions? because to me it just seems that you came in here and posted that shit in an attempt to make me look like some violent or bloodthirsty being. i have a realistic world view, and i live in a state with constitutional carry, which means anyone without felony or domestic abuse charges can carry a concealed weapon. what i mean by this is, many people carry guns. ever experience someone else's roadrage?

i've been trained to use and respect firearms since i was young. i have opinions about firearms, and i do my best to explain why i've formed these opinions. how does that morph in your mind into visualizing me the way you have? i justified my choice of carrying a firearm that is based on a design that has been seen as dated since a quarter century ago, that uses what many consider an anemic round with ballistics surpassed by many calibers.

what i didn't do in any of these posts was posture, or express any desire to use my firearms against another living being - not even for hunting. i didn't ask for advice about what types of ammunition does the most damage, or what firearms have a high capacity, or what calibers have the most stopping power.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Thank you! Thats the answer I was looking for, and that the answer that I got. Peace.

• Like Like x 1
  10. i appreciate your response, i'm glad i could clarify my perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  11. That ppk is gorgeous.
    Personally I carry a keltec p32
    I know I know call me a bitch but It's pretty soft on the recoil and light weight plus with the new Lehigh defense rounds in +p it gets great stopping power. I saw an advertisement for an inside the waist soft wrap around holster it looked very sleek and comfortable but I cant recall the name. I usually use a pocket holster but I can imagine that would suck if you carry a lot in your pockets or you dont always wear somewhat tight jeans.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  12. #12 docleary, Jan 10, 2017
    i wouldn't call you a bitch, if you're comfortable carrying and trusting a .32acp who i am to argue? i'm not the sort to force my opinions on another person. besides, i carry a .380acp myself, which many consider to be on the smaller end of the usable self defense caliber scale.

i've never owned a keltec, what is your experience owning/firing one? reliable? your p32 weighs the about the same and is a similar size as my ruger lcp, which could be a handful firing the .380acp - does it handle the .32acp with relative ease?

fired my first four mags through the ppk/s 15 minutes ago. i checked the target in between magazine reloads, so the high/right shots were the first two mags, the center/left shots are the second two after i adjusted my aim for effect. on a side note, i used inexpensive 94gr prvi partizan FMJs and experienced no malfunctions out of four full mags + one round chambered on the very first as i was carrying it seven+one in the chamber. each magazine holds seven rounds. i was ten to twelve yards from my target.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I think theres an inherent stigma towards anything smaller than 380. I dont get the chance to hit the range very often but the p32 is a dream to shoot. Its got so little recoil that any woman or child could comfortably shoot it. The downside is the slide is really strong since this is the first gen p32 I think its much easier to cock the slide on the newer ones. But I like that about it because once you train your hand to cock it, it becomes easy and in the case of a kid picking it up or someone grabbing you gun they wouldnt be able to pull the slide. It never missfires but what can happen with regular flat tip ammo is the casings catch on eachother in the mag. It can handle +p rounds easily though so thats a big upside. The trigger is.... unique? You have to pull it all the way back. I would trust my life with a 32 but only if I were using lehigh defense extreme defender rounds.

14. i would guess its a d.a.o.? thats what i wasn't a fan of when it came to my lcp. very stout trigger pulls and a short barrel equal shots that can jump away from point of aim when the trigger finally breaks. i have to try live firing my ppk/s in d.a., to see what sort of jump i get from the trigger break. i fired all those shots in the target above in s.a. to ensure accuracy for groupings in my first few magazines. i took this ppk/s in trade thinking i'd fire it a few times and sell it once the novelty of carrying it wore off, but i'm already in love with it. don't think i'll be selling this pistol.

15. Yeah its double action only but its alright honestly. And due to its design even with one hand its pretty amazingly accurate at close range. Even at mid range its decent. I had the same thing too. I thought alright Ill pick it up and when I have some more money I will sell it and get something new but I like it too much. I still plan on getting a 9 or 45 but Ill keep the p32 as backup.

16. i'm thinking about adding a set of walnut grips to my ppk/s. i also need to borrow my friend's dremel to round off a few sharp edges on the frame/tang. much sharper than i want. but the ppk/s handles .380acp far better than my lcp. i'll probably hang onto the lcp for a back up to the walther, or when i need deep concealment (pocket carry or similar). eventually i plan on picking up a sig saur p938, which is a s.a. 9mm based on subcompact 1911. but that's in the further future, i need to finish rebuilding my ar somewhat soon.

17. #18 docleary, Jan 11, 2017
    [​IMG]

i don't think that looks tacky, although it does in rosewood. i think it does look a little tacky on an engraved gun, but mine isn't, just the factory stamps. i just don't care for the grips that it came with, they feel like a cheap addition to a well-made gun.

18. Try alien gear, they are hybrid holster like galco and crossbreed but made of nylon so no sweat issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  19. yeah i said i was going to order an alien gear 3.0 soon, its just the lead times are kinda ridiculous and i've heard a lot of people having trouble with getting their orders completed in a timely fashion along and correct. plenty of stories of waiting months only to receive a molded kydex holster for the wrong gun. i'll wait until they've finished expanding to meet the demand. i do like the features of the 3.0 though, with the metal insert in the backpiece to retain shape and make reholstering easier.