Computer stuck in Update screen on shutdown

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by tflga, Jul 12, 2013.

1. My Main drive SSD is full, somehow, all I have on there is just my OS stuff, and a few other programs (nothing huge) these updates fill it up all the way, and I can't clear any space. (Have patience, I know not that much about PC stuff)  and I think it's not updating because of the drive being full. Anyone have any tips on how I can, idk, reformat or delete and large unnecessary files...or even better yet a good SSD with more than 38g of space... thanks.. 

2. #3 aPersonUponaHill, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
    38GB is a little small to put your OS and programs on, why not put the OS and its updates on the SSD so it boots fast and put all else on your other hard drive 

3. back up your stuff and have a larger HDD installed or just buy a new comp.

4. Turn off system hibernate, move your documents to another drive, and move temporary files to another drive.

Hibernate alone uses 16gb.

Sent from my Samsung GS4 SCH-I545

5. #7 Smokey McPott, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2013
    Delete

6. Oh also turn off caching. It will free up space, and you should turn it off regardless if you're using an SSD.

7. #10 AzizOnDeck, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    Turn off system recovery and make a regular backup onto an external. And I'd recommend before upgrading your ssd just keep it and grab a 1tb HD WD black or blue preferably.

For me I have a 240 ssd and a 700gb (aprox of course) wd black as my secondary. I install the huge programs and games etc on the ssd which need faster read times to operate smoother. And I install stuff like photoshop or mozilla movies smaller games etc onto the secondary. Basically what's precious put it on the ssd otherwise install a Program Files folder into the secondary for x86 and 32bit.

how do I do this?

9. http://syssu.com/2011/how-to-maximize-space-on-your-ssd-in-windows-7/

Bunch of things you can do, step 6 is disabling the page file. If you have 8gb of ram or more you can safely turn it entirely off.