Computer savvy stoners in here...

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by HardToker(:, Mar 7, 2010.

1. I need some help, my dad's pc all of a sudden the other day fucked up. It powers on and all the fans and lights work but there is no display on the monitor? I have tried several GPU's to no avail. Unfortunately there is no on board video for me to try. What could it be blades? I tried changing the CPU too but made no difference...

2. #2 mstandlee, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2010
    If its a pci express card, have you tried switching to a stanard pci card for testing purposes? What model is the computer? What happened when it turned off? Was there a shortage of power? Or did it just "die"? If you have another computer you can use to "test" this machine, I would start by pulling the motherboard and putting it in a known working case. For testing purposes, you dont have to screw it into the case, although I would run a single screw or two jus as a precaution. Start with the original video card and remove all pci cards and the memory chips but one chip at location 0 or 1 depending on the first location. The slots will have little numbers next to them. You want to replacate the original conditions minus the power supply and memory/extra pci cards. If it boots, you know its either one of the extra pci cards thats malfunctioned, one of your memory chips went bad or the power supply is shot. If it doesnt work, start with a known working video card of the same type. So if your using a pci express card, try a pci express card that you know works. If that doesnt work, try switching for another type of video card. If your originally using pci express, try using just a standard pci card. If none of these sugestions work, it sounds like your fuckd. :p Ok not yet. But if it doesnt work, post back with the specs I asked for and I can try to help you through it.

Oh and P.S.: If your not very technically enabled, I would very much recommend smoking after you have finished and not before. Its too easy to either forget what you've tried or overlook a small but crucial change to the system that you wouldnt normally have missed. Smoke afterwards to reward yourself, either for fixing it or giving it your all. :p:smoking:

3. Swapped the mobo over into my working pc and it failed to get display so i ordered a new motherboard, Thanks for the help dude +Rep :):)

4. Did you check to see if the monitor worked?
    Did you check the DVI/VGA cable?
    It sounds like you guys jumped ahead, but you may be right.
    How could you swap the motherboard into another computer and expect it to work?
    I'm not trying to be rude, I just dont understand how that would help you troubleshoot.