Computer question

Discussion in 'General' started by Hippie23, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Hey guys, this might seem extremely dumb to some ofe you but I am going to ask anyways. I have a iMac, and just bought an external drive. I want to free up space by putting stuff into the external drive but still being able to play / see it on my computer, not just make a backup of what I have. Now how would I go about doing this.

(for example I have 70GB of iTunes music I want to just put onto my external drive so I can free that space on my computer HD)

Thanks everyone!

2. #2 The3amJunkie, Jan 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2009
    Yeah you can play the songs from your external just move them onto your External then free up the space on your old HD. Then go to Itunes and click file-add folder to library. Browse to your external hard drive and click on your music folder all of the songs will be added to your library but be sure to always have your external.

Be warned that you have no back up of your music and External crash and you will be sad.

You browse to the external by going to my computer then it should be there under the drives.

Got to love Plug n play

3. Thanks so much. Umm yeah I know I wont have a backup so for now I'm going to leave it onto my computer. Then use my iPod as another backup just in case :p.

4. Word no problem.

5. Alright, It isnt showing up under computer. What should I do?

6. #6 The3amJunkie, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
    Whats not showing up under computer your external? Once you plug it in the usb port it should show up under drives. Are you using vista?XP? What kind of external is it?

Go to Start - run - Type in mmc - the mmc console will pop up then go to File - Add/Remove snap in - Click Add - Look for Device manager Click add or ok forgot what it is then it will add it to the console then look under USB ports and see if you have drivers for your usb ports if not find what kind of mother board you have by Looking under Mainboard/motherboard in your device manager console and go online and do a google search for the type of motherboard you have and download the drivers for it.