Computer Help?

Discussion in 'General' started by IndianaToker, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Let me know if you need anymore help. :)

2. You go Indiana toker!

Wildcard, your comments boarder on inflammatory. Be nice or we won't let you play with the others.

Indiana, great advice!

And I guess I can see why a forum is a good suggestion. I think we could make good use of a drug testing forum, but it's not here.

But with computer help... who would think to come here for computer help? So I can see why an advertising-type forum would be necessary for you to help a lot of people. (Very noble!)

We have a shit load of forums now, though. And wouldn't it look funny to have all these pot forums.. with a computer help forum? lol (Yes, that's LOL)

Perhaps you could consider either creating a new username that would let people know they can ask you for computer help... Or if you just jump in and help people if they complain of computer problems? Even a signature can advertise that you can help. (Because you have a pretty cool username)

Hell, you can even start a computer help thread in the general forum, seasoned tokers, website feedback, etc. it's probably more work for you that way.... but I just don't see a computer help forum coming to fruition.

(Some times my visions aren't accurate, though.... things are not written in stone) :D

And I want a 20 gig! Hell, if we're wishin' here I want a 120 gig. (wouldn't that be fun to defragment?)

3. Hey Budburner!! Please delete my intelligent reply posting above since it no longer fits. :)

I was pretty stoned when thinking about the forum idea, you're right it'd look silly here.

We'll just make this the offical computer help thread. So if any of you blades need any help, post your problems here and I will try to resolve them as quickly as possible. I know how frustrating it can be to have a pc on the fritz. :) Especially when you can't understand why the heck it's messing up.

My goal here is not only to be able to fix the problems that may arise, but to also hopefully educate everyone a little along the way. If you can understand why the problem is occuring, it makes it much eaiser if you have to deal with that problem later.

4. Damn your quick!! Beat me to the punch!!

5. You got to me in the middle of some "maintenance". lol

Hopefully things will smooth out with wildc@rd. We all have our days.

:D

Good luck with helping people out! And thank you for offering your time and knowledge so freely.

6. I have an old 486 runing win95 (Shit it's been so long.. I can't remember whether it's a Sx or Dx) I believe the memory chips need to have the contacts cleaned.

As well as the contacts on the motherboard where they plug in.

How does one safely clean electrical contacts that are so hidden in the motherboard?

My cousin had me try to figure out why his computer was fucking up. (It's been a while for that too... but it's a 486 as well running win95) Himem would not load for some reason and it wouldn't boot. But if you let it set for like 5 minutes it would boot up and run for ever as long as you didn't shut it down again.

I found that by removing and replacing the memory chips it helped to get me to that point. He could never get it to boot.

So.... I decide to get brave and put memory from my 486 into my cousin's to see if the memory was what was wrong.

Now MY 486 does the same thing... Himem won't load and it won't boot... at all. (FUCK!) And I'm talking with the memory that was JUST working fine in it before I put them in my cousin's computer.

So... I'm about to the point of just spraying the hell out of the contacts with a big ol' can of contact cleaner (nothin' to lose really).

Any other options? Does this even sound like my problem? (I could set the ol' girl up and get an exact error message if it'd help)

7. I guess wild card is just an indication that not everything to come out of Scotland is all good!!

You should be ashamed of yourself for representing your country in such a way, i remember reading a few threads that you replied to in the past and you were in hot water then....that was quite a time ago and you only recently came back....to start bitching at someone who is trying to help others.....you my "friend" are the one who has came here to the city and within your first posts back you, have slated a valued member of the city, shame on you for representing such a beautiful country in such a way.......Peace out.....Sid

8. Budburner,

This sounds like a rather interesting problem you have. I'm not 100% sure on the answer off the top of my head, so I will do some checking for you. Give me a day or so and I should have a solution for you. :)

Sid,

Thanks for your above post. It's appreciated friend. :)

9. Just make sure you get the right stuff. Get like ZepElec or something like that. Don't get the harsh automotive cleaner, it'll take the finish off the board. I know this may seem like a silly post, but I wasn't sure if you knew that or not. Don't want you trashing the motherboard!! Still looking for a solution for you....

10. Hey Indiana... I still can't remember what I was going to ask you but I think I'm going to start writing my questions down when they pop into my head since I can't remember shit anymore. Damn it, Critter gave me his STML! So, don't freak if I have a 100 questions at once for you.

Thanks for offering your help, Indy! You kick ass and I luv ya, man!!! :)

11. Glad to help everyone out here RMJL. :) I've been helped by so many here along the way, this is my little way of trying to contribute back to our community.

12. obviously i can open internet explorer..but thats it..everything else i try to open it says it cant find..ive tried the shortcuts ive tried searching, ive went directly to the program folder itself, ive run a virus scan and everything, i was just going to try and reinstall win xp but it wont, when i try to run setup is says it cant even find it on the cd...

the exact message is

Windows cannot find 'C:\whatever file or program or whatever'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click search.

13. Norm,

Sounds like you may have corrupted something on accident. This is usually the case when you are having problems with every program. I'll try to post up a solution for you later on today pal. :)

14. well..i can open winamp, but only if i open my music folder and select music to play and tell it to play in winamp..but i cant open winamp directly.. and if theres anything else you need to know ill try to find out and tell you..

15. Hey Norm...

What operating system are you using? And also, is it up to date with the windows security patches? Let me know please.

16. xp and no, its not...i tried to do it, and the icon disappears, but they dont start downloading.

17. Well thanks! And I was thinking of using the automotive stuff... so thanks for the head's up.

Good shit too!

So there is a contact cleaner made for computers?

18. BudBurner, If you are cleaning the inside of the computer, Use compressed air called "cleaning duster" with the help of a vacume clener..While spraying the cleaning duster, use the vacume to suck out all the dust.

Hey Norm, I have had the same problem your having.. The only way to fix this problem is to completely erase your hard drive... then reload. I had to do this a month ago on my old computer. My computer wiz called the problem " hard drive block" meaning there is a corruption on the hard drive..That should fix the problem. It did mine..

I had to finally upgrade to a larger capacity computer because of all the stuff I have on mine. The kids are using the old one and it is doing well!

19. rarrr...but i dont wanna reformat my hard drive..oh well...dont i need a program for that.

20. I don't think so.. I just erased every thing and left windows for last. Then reloaded windows and all the other BS that I have.