Computer Grow Box Help

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by UofABudMan, May 11, 2010.

1. Hello Everyone. Ok, so my friends parents are only home two days a week so we decided it would be safe to make a PC grow box and keep it in his room. I have some questions and some ideas so any help or criticism is welcome.

This is what where looking to buy

Chieftec BA-01B-B-B-OP Full Tower Chassis($110)(Ebay)
    4 x 80mm Cooling Fans($5ea)(Ebay)
    50 Watt Metal Halide Ballast($35)(Light bulbs, Rope Lights, Halogen and Fluorescent bulb - 1000-Bulbs - The Light Bulb Superstore)
    50 Watt - High Pressure Sodium Ballast($35)(Light bulbs, Rope Lights, Halogen and Fluorescent bulb - 1000-Bulbs - The Light Bulb Superstore)
    50 Watt - Pulse Start - Metal Halide Bulb($10)(Light bulbs, Rope Lights, Halogen and Fluorescent bulb - 1000-Bulbs - The Light Bulb Superstore)
    50 Watt - High Pressure Sodium - 3900 Lumens($11)(Light bulbs, Rope Lights, Halogen and Fluorescent bulb - 1000-Bulbs - The Light Bulb Superstore)
    Refletix($15)(Home Depot)
    4 x 12DV Chargers($10ea)(Radio Shack)

Total Would be around $230

Would Running the two 50watt HID fixtures put out to much heat? The two bulbs would be on together on the inside and the ballast would be screwed onto the back.
    If it is i could just put like 3 42w CFLs to put out the needed light or i could go with 4 120mm fans to move more air through witch i might just do ether way.
    Does anyone have any suggestions and did i forget anything?
    Where do you get the little white screens that you LST through?

2. I havnt grown myself, but from reading a ton about it, it seems that computer grow boxes dont usually produce enough to make it worth while. your yeild wont really be worth enough to spend all that time and money on. You would have better luck using a big speaker box or something similer with alot more room to work with. It would cost about the same but you could grow a much bigger plant and have so much more room to work with. I dont think you will need that many fans also. Do you have any plans to filter the smell. you will smell it badly and spending 30 making a filter is worth it.

3. i have a friend down the street that made a computer grow box and he yielded 3/4 oz, 1 oz and 1 1/6 oz off his 3 harvest so far so it could work but i see what your saying. WHat speaker box would you recommend?

4. Im thinking of going to a good sized computer grow just to maintain a few different mothers.. anyone ever done this?