Computer Geek Question

Discussion in 'General' started by ideal, Oct 15, 2004.

1. I know I should be posting this in some computer forums but im fairly sure they're are some stoner geeks among us so here goes the question : I was looking to get a game server company goin and I need to know if a dell dual 2.0 ghz xeon server would be a good buy or if im better off buying a bunch of 2.0 ghz computers since they're less expensive any info would be great

2. definitely go with the dual processor xeons... make sure you get a lot of fast ram, and if you have any money after you get the ram, you should look at the scsi 10,000rpm raptor hdd from wd. they're fast as hell...

3. Do you think the dual xeon would handle more game servers?, I think my boss said it has 1 gig of ram hes selling it for 2k can think its worth it?, its a heavy mother fucker, lol

4. hm, only 1 gig? i dont think its such a good deal after all. 2 gig xeons arent that expensive, and really arent that fast compared to what you can get for cheaper. 2 grand seems a little steep... but you'll probably want something a little faster than 2ghz... 1ghz of ram should be okay, as long as its fast...

5. Grass Roots is right on about the RAM. I've only seen a few game servers, they were Dell 2650's with dual 2.4 Xeon processors, 3 to 6 gigs of RAM, running Raid5 15000 rpm drives. And yes, I was drooling all to hell. :)

6. so what would be a good asking price mind you this is canadian pricing

7. $1,591 US (2k canadian) sounds more reasonable now that i know. i didn't look at your location idea, hah... well, i still don't know if its a good deal; whats the speed of the ram? cd-roms? hard drives? motherboard? is it setup on raid? you said it's a dell? that'd be nice if it's still under warranty...

8. just make sure it runs linux/bsd and youll be fine :)

9. I like linunx as much as the next guy but fk that crap windows 2002 server edition works great for me