Computer Fan ?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by KyungYi, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Hey,
    I've been looking at exhaust options for my grow cab.
    I was just wondering what would be the best way to power my 2 12V computer fans I just aqcuired. I've heard that you can run it on six volt batteries at half the performance and that you can also link 2 6V's together and run it at full, but I'm looking for something a little more cost effective than batteries. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!.

Thanks GC!
    KyungYi

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      138.9 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      172 KB
      Views:
  2. old mobile phone chargers thats what i use & piss easy 2 wire up

3. Good call man. Thanks for the advice. I imagine the chargers only have psitive and negative wires? What about old DC 12V adapters?

Thanks again bro.

4. yea i think any old ac/dc adaptors, id say there ok as long as u dont go over 12v ones as thats what pc fans run on

5. I got quite the assortment. Thanks again man! I'll keep this updated.

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      325.9 KB
      Views:
  6. no prob, good luck with ur grow

7. Just check the amp draw on your computer fans and the amp output on the 12v charger. Don't exceed it.

8. Houston we have lift off!!!! Plus rep. for the suggestion my man!

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      109.4 KB
      Views:
  9. you could have used that power supply you got the fan from, but what ever works, just thought is was funny...anyway glad to see you got one running

10. Power supply was trashed on the computer, or else yeah, it would have made more sense to use the computer power supply.

11. is what I will be using if my Money order ever gets to HTGsupply... and I am also glad you didn't die going into that power supply if you were to touch that capacitor, had an uncle who died that way, trying to fix a microwave. just a reminder to all you kiddies out there some appliances still hold charges large enough to kill you even if they are unplugged

12. I hear ya. I'm computer savvy enough to manage but yeah I get wut you're saying. People seem to forget that that's what I capacitor is.
    Here's the finsihed fan and top lid in rough draft form. Gotta be sure to connect thse wires securely!

Attached Files:

• 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      138.7 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      138.2 KB
      Views:
  13. Hey I got another question.

Okay so I know I need o keep light out of the intake and exhaust. I was wondering if these old plumbing peices would work, or if they had to be black???? Any advice is much appreciated!!

Thanks GC.
    KyungYI

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      284.9 KB
      Views:
  14. yeah man you are gonna want to paint the inside of them black, just remember the more bends you have the less light but also it cuts down on the max airflow, but those look like they'll work just fine, also look for those kitty litter carbon filter to put over the fan or vents, they work pretty good on minor smell and helps reduce dust and light

15. Cool man thanks for the advice. Tomorrow I'll spray paint them black on the inside. How far should my intake peice go into the cab?? I figure not far ut I've seen intakes where they have PVC pretty much around the whole thing.

Thanks again GC!

16. not sure about what you mean by how far your intake piece should got, but with an intake you want it as low in your cab as you can get it with your exhaust high, hot air rises, cold air sinks, use it to your advantage, but as far as how far in you want it thats up to you, I would take one of those elbow pipes and point it down that way less light is put into it, but if that doesn't help you just experiment if I were there in person I could help you out better but doesn't matter, anyway I wish you the best of luck and if all my banter does you no good, learn from those who are far ahead of me and you here is a nice link that might help you
    http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-roo...ep-light-proof-mounting-axial-box-pc-fan.html

17. Yeah,
    I think I was just over thinking that one man. Length doesn't matter. But yeah the exhaust is blowing out the top to the intake will be about 4 inches from the ground. I'll have pics up once I get it built tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice man.

18. no problem, just remember to spread the knowledge and always help a fellow bud smoker out :)

19. Yo,
    Started a Grow Journal called The Unemployed Man's Grow Box/Journal! I'll pick up this thread there.! Thanks for all the input GC!

-Kyung YI