Computer fan amperage question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by tadankestgrass, May 12, 2010.

1. Hey GC! Well, I've been working on wiring up some computer fans for a small box I am currently constructing. However, my question is, if I have two speed controlled fans that can draw a maximum of half of an amp and I have an ac adapter that supplies 1 amp, can I run both fans off of the one adapter? Or is that cutting it too close? (I probably will not be running either at max speed, although that depends on temps).

Thanks for your help! :smoking:

2. One way to see, try it. If not you'll prob just burn the adapter up. Plug it in, if it starts smoking or smells like something electric burning, turn it off :-D I mean unless you use the adapter for something else, but if it's all you got, you don't have anything to loose man.

3. Well, I was going to try and avoid a scenario like that if at all possible, I don't really think it would cause a reaction that dramatic from simply using all of the available amps, rather I am worried about the wire or adapter becoming too hot gradually over the course of the day. I did find another adapter that supplies .55 amps, which would give me at least a 5 milamp extra, which I guess would make me a little bit more comfortable. I just would rather not use it if I don't have to plus extra adapter means more room taken up, more wires, etc. Any one else have any input?

4. What I did is take the computer fan and wire it into a USB wire, then just run it off a computer nearby, its the safest way to do it, and it works pretty well for vents and breeze on the plants.

5. Yea, I actually thought about doing that but where I am planning to keep my box is no where near a computer, unfortunately. Anyway, it'd probably be okay, it's just that I remember seeing somewhre (maybe it was on rollitup) that you should ALWAYS have an adapter that produces more amps than the device draws.