Computer Code Found in String Theory Equations

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by HookedonPhonics, Mar 23, 2012.

1. If the universe was 0 it would mean its static, but the universe is dynamic.. If anything it could be always trying to attain 0 but never actually get there like previously stated

2. I don't understand all this 'trying to reach 0' ... have none of you heard of the Casimir effect??

3. He means in a total quantified energy state. That the overall quantification of energy is zero

4. [quote name='"HookedonPhonics"']

I don't understand all this 'trying to reach 0' ... have none of you heard of the Casimir effect??[/quote]

The casmir effect only comes into play in quantum or atomic levels.. He is asking about the energy of the universe as a whole. With the vacuum of space and the total energy of combined casmir effects on everything in the universe. It's hypothetical but in no way completely answerable. If I remember something from science or discovery didn't they try to pass the casmir effect as negative energy? Can't remember for sure

5. anyone here actually understand the math behind most of it?

because my biggest problem with M theory and the standard model is the idea of the Graviton.

i'm not convinced it exists or it will ever be found. this is why i lean towards the idea that gravity is a force which forms in the higher dimensions.

much like liquids have the property of liquidity, gravity is just a forces of which all matter has based on how fast it is going (speed of light). ..more spin, more torsion (through this dimension or others i assume.

but anyways.. can anyone read this and give me their thoughts? it's all greek to me. well the math is.
    http://theresonanceproject.org/pdf/torque_paper.pdf

6. But surely the energy produced by the casimir in 'empty' space surely equates to the total universal energy level being <> 0? I haven't heard that they have passed it as negative energy, whatever that is :confused:

I can understand bits...
    The graviton existing would actually support your theory of gravity as force in higher dimensions better than the standard model. In M-theory the closed strings (such as photons, gluons etc) are attached to branes which define and trap their interaction with the 3 dimensions of spatial space we are aware of. The graviton however, is an open string, and thus can pass through multiple spatial dimensions, which could account for why the force of gravity within our stretched out dimensions is weak. Theoretically it could be a lot stronger through other dimensions but is diluted in the dimensions we can experience - due to our observations and interactions being used by electromagnetic particles which are confined to the three-brane.

7. [quote name='"HookedonPhonics"']

But surely the energy produced by the casimir in 'empty' space surely equates to the total universal energy level being <> 0? I haven't heard that they have passed it as negative energy, whatever that is :confused:

I can understand bits...
    The graviton existing would actually support your theory of gravity as force in higher dimensions better than the standard model. In M-theory the closed strings (such as photons, gluons etc) are attached to branes which define and trap their interaction with the 3 dimensions of spatial space we are aware of. The graviton however, is an open string, and thus can pass through multiple spatial dimensions, which could account for why the force of gravity within our stretched out dimensions is weak. Theoretically it could be a lot stronger through other dimensions but is diluted in the dimensions we can experience - due to our observations and interactions being used by electromagnetic particles which are confined to the three-brane.[/quote]

That's why I said it wouldn't be zero because the universe is dynamic and not static.. It's been a long time and dont remember how they worded it..

8. But even if the universe were static, it wouldn't be "0"

9. The Quantum field, the background within which the Casimir effect acts, has a nominal + value. The C' effect doesn't show its latent energy though. The effect is produced by creating a gap between two plates smaller than the 'local' energy field can pass within, therefore creating an imbalance between the state between the plates and outside it. 'No' energy within the plates, the pressure of 'everything else' outside it cause the fields to compress together..

Just as a side issue: The problem with it as a form of free energy is that each time the apparatus was used it would have to be re-set, thus using up the energy that was gained.

MelT

10. I was under the impression that the pressure between the plates dropped, thus the quantum 'jitters' would decrease letting space to compress for the plates to attract to each other.

11. Sorry, that's what I'm saying above, that there is 'no' energy in the space between the plates, allowing the outside pressure to close them inwards. It's not attraction, but compression.

MelT

12. Compression, not quantum vacuum fluctuations?

13. computer code is essentially derived from logic, logic is merely our observations and ideas of the natural world. i'd honestly be more surprised if some sort of logical program/progression/code wasn't correlated to the laws and equations describing the natural world

14. If only string theory made testable predictions...

15. If gravity is in fact stronger in other dimensions beyond our three we are aware of (and time of course) that means the dimensions themselves would not necessarily have to be as small as we expected (Calabi-Yau shaped dimensions at plancks length) and thus the strings themselves that make up the graviton particle would be larger than other constituent strings. This is the best and most promising cause for string theory experimentation, but i don't hold high hopes for it. It's based on multiple theoretical theories all matching.

16. I'm trying to put this (unsuccessfully:) ) in simple terms. However, it may also be a form of repulsion - which isn't as common - depending on how the plates are arranged It's the disparity in 'energy' between the plates and the outside field that causes the plates to draw together/push away. this is from Scientific American:

"...To understand the Casimir Effect, one first has to understand something about a vacuum in space as it is viewed in quantum field theory. Far from being empty, modern physics assumes that a vacuum is full of fluctuating electromagnetic waves that can never be completely eliminated, like an ocean with waves that are always present and can never be stopped. These waves come in all possible wavelengths, and their presence implies that empty space contains a certain amount of energy--an energy that we can't tap, but that is always there.

Now, if mirrors are placed facing each other in a vacuum, some of the waves will fit between them, bouncing back and forth, while others will not. As the two mirrors move closer to each other, the longer waves will no longer fit--the result being that the total amount of energy in the vacuum between the plates will be a bit less than the amount elsewhere in the vacuum. Thus, the mirrors will attract each other, just as two objects held together by a stretched spring will move together as the energy stored in the spring decreases.

[​IMG]Image: Scientific American CASIMIR EFFECT

This effect, that two mirrors in a vacuum will be attracted to each other, is the Casimir Effect. It was first predicted in 1948 by Dutch physicist Hendrick Casimir. Steve K. Lamoreaux, now at Los Alamos National Laboratory, initially measured the tiny force in 1996.

It is generally true that the amount of energy in a piece of vacuum can be altered by material around it, and the term "Casimir Effect" is also used in this broader context. If the mirrors move rapidly, some of the vacuum waves can become real waves. Julian Schwinger and many others have suggested that this "dynamical Casimir effect" may be responsible for the mysterious phenomenon known as sonoluminescence.

One of the most interesting aspects of vacuum energy (with or without mirrors) is that, calculated in quantum field theory, it is infinite! To some, this finding implies that the vacuum of space could be an enormous source of energy--called "zero point energy."

But the finding also raises a physical problem: there's nothing to stop arbitrarily small waves from fitting between two mirrors, and there is an infinite number of these wavelengths. The mathematical solution is to temporarily do the calculation for a finite number of waves for two different separations of the mirrors, find the associated difference in vacuum energies and then argue that the difference remains finite as one allows the number of wavelengths to go to infinity.

Although this trick works, and gives answers in agreement with experiment, the problem of an infinite vacuum energy is a serious one. Einstein's theory of gravitation implies that this energy must produce an infinite gravitational curvature of spacetime--something we most definitely do not observe. The resolution of this problem is still an open research question..."

MelT

17. This is what i initially said :wave: lol

18. Two like-minds separated by language...sigh....:) :wave::smoke:

MelT

19. I did read something about string theory making a prediction of the mass range of the Higgs, but it might have been something that experimental physicists sort of already knew at the time.
    More info:
    Particle physics is at a turning point : Nature News & Comment
    [1112.1059] Higgs Mass Prediction for Realistic String/M Theory Vacua
    This could be interesting if there is a Higgs.