computer behaving badly

Discussion in 'General' started by madhatrr, Nov 30, 2003.

1. I have looked everywhere for the answer to this, and havent found a thing, so i figured i may as well ask and see if any of you have experienced this problem. I just recently have been getting a ton of "Security Warning" messages asking me if i want to download such and such a program from whatever company. Theres 3 of them - "IBIS, LLC", "180Solutions", and "BetterInternet". Of course i always select no, because not only do i not want what they claim to be offering to me, but i have no way of knowing whether or not this is some kind of an attempt to hack my computer or get me to download a virus of some sort. but these things just wont stop. ive gotten atleast 30 just today. i mean wtf, how does this happen? is there any way i can make these things stop showing up on my computer? I have an anti-ad program that could kill any message titled "security warning", which would fix the annoyance, but wouldnt fix the cause, not to mention, id never know if something actually went wrong with my computer, it would be killing all the real security warnings along with these. also, the amount of pop-up spam ive been getting has skyrocketed through the roof, i get spam even with aim and internet explorer closed, and not even touching my computer (inactive). My internet connection is a LAN at my campus, which i dont have the option of turning on or off. any answers would be greatly appreciated.

2. well, i did exactly what you said to do, and when i got there, it was already set to "stop", and is disabled on startup. i cant turn it off, since its already turned off, soo... is this still the solution im looking for? ive gotten these security message popups during this session, and i assume that my services setting for messenger was like this (set to stop and disabled) and hasnt changed itself...so could it be something else? does it matter that im running windows 2000 pro?

3. Are you for sure that you don't have a virus?

4. well, i did just about 2 weeks ago run AVG 6.0, which told me that it detected and destroyed 16 different viruses (i didnt have a virus detection program prior to running avg). weird thing is, i never had a problem with my computer, despite it apparently having a whole array of different viruses. since then, ive run 2 other virus detection programs, and the avg several more times, and all say im clean and clear. the problem with the security popups and sudden rise in spam popups has only occured in the last couple of days, so it seems weird to me that getting rid of viruses would cause my computer to get fucked up...maybe it has acting like a host, and all the different viruses were living in harmony, not causing problems, and i need to get some of them back!

5. oh, and grass roots, thanks for the link, but ive tried the ad-aware program before, and all it did was cause my computer to stop functioning, and i was forced to format and start again from scratch, so i dont plan on going through that again. im sure its a good program, but its not for me.

6. aaaaah that sucks to hear. at the same time good. soem of this stuff works well for some, but horrible for others...im debating to put up wit the shit ive been encountering or try it out..i know its the reason of [some] problems.. :/

7. If AdAware didn't work for you (I've never had a problem, I love it), you should go to www.download.com and search for "Spybot Search and Destroy" it's like AdAware in that it removes spyware and such, but it's not AdAware so it shouldn't fuck your computer up. I'd also guess that it wasn't AdAware that fucked up the computer, but a piece of spyware that REALLY didn't want to be deleted and lashed out in an attempt to save it's life. :)

Using AVG is good too. If you have a couple floppies around, I'd use the AVG program to make an emergency floppy set, then boot with those and let it scan for viruses that way. Some viruses arn't removed properly by AVG unless you use the emergency floppy disk set (why?!! I don't know). Also, don't forget to update your virus definition files every once in a while (once a week, since you're on broadband).

Of course you could just get a Macintosh and not have to worry about viruses and trojins. :)

*me ducks*

8. i have a ghost program loaded onto my computer in my hard drive that i just run to set the computer back to the way it was when i bought it (my friend is a programmer and put it on there for me), so when we get shit like that coming up all the time or pick up something nasty we just run the ghost and voila! back to new!

my comp would have been dead a hundred times over if i hadnt had that thing...

9. Hey I see some of you know a bit about computers.
    Well I dont know shit all I know is how to stuff them up.
    like I just bought a new dvd dirve and I tried to put it in myself and it never worked I got a mate that said he knew a bit and he put it in and the software I had to run the drive is Power DVD XP it says you can use 98 on the cd. Now I use win 98 cant buy xp or 2000 not enough money.

Ok the problem with it is I cant use the software and games or any cd. When it loads up It will play the intro of a game or the software will load but when I try to do somthing it will fuck up and go saying shit like

Invalid page fault if problem persists please see vender! or it just stops responding and the game just shuts down.

I run virus scan nothing scan disck says found errors and fix them. then I try to run the game and it just dont work.

It was all working fine before all this too before I put the new dvd drive in.

can you tell what the problem is I think it might be the dvd drive but that is just a uneducated guess

Please help.

10. hey evrybod,y i thank you for youor responses. i will tryi the suggestions when im a littele bit more sobbbbb er

11. i don't use Internet explorer, i don't use oultook, my mail is hosted by yahoo.

I use mozilla, haven't seen any popup since ages, no ad(*) since ages, no spam since OVER A YEAR.

(add adblock to mozilla)

it's easy people: don't use MS' software, always go for altermate.

oh you use msn and don't wannat part it? ... too bad.

12. maybe I SHOULD EMPHASIZE :

NO SPAM / POPUP / AD seen on my screen for OVER A YEAR.

if you consider you are bound to any MS product, than your are bound to popups stuff,ad stuf etc ..

(ps computer tech for over 10 years, pliz don't lecture me on what can be done to prevent ms software from behaving badly: i know, but for non techies, the best is still to use alternate FREE* software)

* as in freedom

13. lmao...obviously inebriated...i type like that pissed...lol...

14. Windows XP has his built in, called system restore. Can be accesed by right clicking on my computer and selecting properties....

15. yea you have a lot of spy ware and ad ware that has built up over time, do you have kazaa if so its loaded with adware idrecommend downloading the kazaa lite version and deletin the old version if not
    make sure you ferquintly delete and clear old cookies and temp internet files go to tools then internet options and clear all history
    the only programs i would recommmend for deletin all the ad and spyware on your computer is spybot search and destroy and spyhunter<----excellent program
    u can get them from kazaa or download.com or at anycomp store but then youll have to pay for them, also restart your computer frequntly and go through add/remove programs look for obviuos stuff like adware n-case anything u dont remember downloading or installing, becarefull not to delete anything u might need tho

16. Reformat the Motherfucker!!!!!!!

Thats what I did and my computer is like way the hell faster

there is way more free space

this and surfline are the only web sites I have gone to so I never get any popups ever!

17. sorry i forgot i also go to this page:

http://www.caedes.net

check out some of the abstract pictures they are a trip

and there are lots of other photos