Composted Coffee Grinds Diluted In Water

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by PunkRollinSkunk, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Sup guys I have compost mainly derived of coffee grinds only and I was wondering if theres a way to dilute it in water and use it for fertilizing?

2. #2 GiMiK, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
    Why?  :confused_2:

Just use the finished compost for mulch on your soil or bedding for worms. Plenty of nutrition sequestered away for future use in quality compost or vermicompost.

Nutrition is only a small facet of gardening when utilizing a living soil. Focus on your "humus" source, ie finished thermophilic compost or vermicompost.

If you spend 90% of your time and energy spent on building soil focused on sourcing or building quality "humus" you will be FAR ahead of the learning curve and well on the way to a hassle free garden.

3. I think the answer lies in the quality of your compost, what else went into the compost, how long the composting process took, and if the composting process is fully completely. Otherwise I think you'll find a bit of the soluble N you might be looking for but you might also end up with a very acidic solution. At minimum I'd do a pH check on the solution before you used it for a full irrigation. In lieu of that check you might dilute your solution until you see how things will go. As with any type of addition like this it might take 7 days to see the full impact of what you applied so be careful you don't mix apples and oranges durig that period.

If you mix up the batch as you normally would for a full irrigation, or a fractional ratio equaling the full deal, let it sit and settle for 24 hours. Take a measurement of the settled and clear liquid and that will give you an idea of what your pH is. If you're using municipal water you might have some alkalinity impact but that's a regional water quality issue easily ferreted out with the annual water report and in fact might be an excellent buffer to bring an acidic liquid up in pH.

In short, I'd be careful, I'd not mix "apples and oranges" for the week following application (trying or adding 'new additions' to your static container mix), and I'd observe any changes that occur quickly and diagnose what might be happening.

That's what I'd do in response to your Q  ...

4. I appreciate the comments. I decided to use it as just a mulch and it seems to like it a lot. Haven't had any burn from what i've seen.