Compost tumblers as soil mixers

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by veener, Aug 16, 2012.

1. No, it is just for the mixing. Saves a lot of shovel work turning and agitating the mix.

IIRC, the hopper was ~3cf+-. You would toss in whatever amounts of whatever ingredients, turn it on and when done, dump it in a wheelbarrow and roll it to whatever you were storing it in. Repeat as necessary.

Wet

2. Compost tumblers it is then!

3. [quote name='"jerry111165"']

The only "proof" I could show might be in my organic journal - and I'm afraid I haven't posted many pics lately, but I think there's a bunch towards the beginning if you wanted to nose around in there. There's a link in my signature.

After using the very same soil for around/almost/not sure 2? years now? I can honestly tell you that I have the same, if not better results using the same pots of soil.

Bacteria/microbes/fungus - ie: soil life becomes established - soil mixes become better with age. I've grown around a dozen batches or so of plants in the same pots of soil and should be able to continue using it for many years with no decrease whatsoever in plant health or harvest weight.

J[/quote]

jerry, iirc, u use pro-mix or some other peat product. when u reuse ur soil do u add any amendment to combat peat's tendency to become more acidic over time? If so, what do use?

4. The very basis for an organic garden is the quality - did I say quality? I meant QUALITY of your humus component, that is THE heart and soul of your organic garden. I simply cannot stress that enough. Your garden revolves around the quality of your compost and/or earthworm castings.

These components help to buffer and stabilize your soils pH. Use quality humus products and you'll never, ever have an issue with the pH of your soil.

As far as amending and top dressing between plants in a no till situation, I do top dress here and there with whatever is handy. Yesterday I used my homemade compost. If I think about it next week I might hit them with some kelp meal. Last week I hit them with a comfrey syrup extract.

I don't have any kind of a set regiment. Make yourself a quality soil using quality components in the beginning and you'll never ever have an issue.

J