Compost Tea

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by 420Shrop, Apr 22, 2016.

1. That's what you say?

no im not drunk!

2. Sounds like a fair experiment to me one with T one with compost one with plain water.

Be well...

3. Its tea vs top dressing? Lol i thought teas had none, zero, nadda results? I can already tell you that top dressing works. And teas work.
    I can't tell you how many times I've greened up a plant with teas or top dressing. Top dressing of course is preferred but were talking over a large area with fewer dollar's. I think? Maybe you guys are just indoor or just growing a couple idk? But i build my soil, maintain my soils and constantly feed my soil. I believe in a good healthy organic soil and I'll pay for it! Adding compost by the truck load yearly isn't enough to get you through 6 month's of vigorous growth. Believe me. The ones who feed tea and top dress do much better.
    Again I've seen with my own two eyes what a tea watering can and will do for a unhealthy or yellowing plant.

no im not drunk!

4. Think that's a valid point the amount of soil you're going to treat could very well be the factor Teas may work quicker in a small container over composed mulches but I believe in the long run Mulching does a better job for me on a larger scale grow.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I love milk, eggs, and bacon. Staples for life (my own, anyways ;))...

You must know that not everyone around these parts are blessed by the Californian sun. I live at 7800' elevation in the Colorado mountains. Outdoor growing without a greenhouse is an impossibility here. I grow indoors, and have never felt the need to measure my cock by taking pictures of the plants that I grow...

I didn't realize that you were a commercial production grower. Kudos to you. Your shit looks tight... :thumbsup:

With all the compost in your soil mix, why are you utilizing compost tea?

You have poopoo'd no-till methodology previously in this thread. Do you mix your soil recipe EVERY year?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blue city diesel
    1/2 gal pot 10wks flower
    Mulch and rain water fed.[​IMG]

Be well...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Had to shade the bud so the light would not refract so much off the trichs. image.jpg
    Defanned them before I harvested for pics because they were so bushy. So I grew four bushes and a skinny fluffy fucker and got 36oz off a new soil mix. No compost teas, tried adding fulvic and enzyme teas but it was too much and they got burnt tips. Tried a couple different times till I figured out the worm poo from the live worms is amazing. I personally don't feel like I need to add the extra stuff and as long as I reammend the second round, which is happening outdoors this time, the same results are experienced thus far. We will see how bloom goes. It's going to be a very long season. So mix soil and let sit, add worms an then water only. No synthetic calmag or teas. I do make a slurry if I have an issue. Usually though, I don't need these as long as my compost is good. Just got a new brand and things are much improved.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. someone once told me that if you have been doing something for long enough that you feel like it is working, then all you have to do is speak from experience. if Raider is growing trees stacked on top of trees, you can't say anything to make him change his mind if what he is doing is working for him. dudes plants are blowing up. if what you are doing is getting good results for you then by all means, your experience is just as valid. i don't really care if someone wants to do teas. i really don't. they are organic and not bottled calmag or other disagreeable inputs most of the time.

what i think the real debate was is are they better than just using compost in the soil. i don't think so at all. it sounds from what i'm hearing is that it is a way to help bigger gardens with long grow seasons. i would much prefer to add a thick top dress of compost and mulch but if i had an acre of bush trees, that would be financially a strain but using a third of the compost but aerating it in water to distribute further can help but it is not the same as adding a decent layer of compost topdress. someone small scale does not in my opinion really need to feed teas.

9. Im constantly amending buying and building soils. So all of the above. As far as teas I leave no stone unturned. There are some great points being made about no real scientific benefits from teas and I'm intrigued. But I only spend maybe 300 a year to brew 3000 gallon of tea so it's no big deal. The tea is used on everything not just cannibis lol. But it's part of all the fun I have from farming. It's all cool I think :)

no im not drunk!

• Like Like x 2
  10. my whole point all along was that tea has no benefit over top dressing. the tea is after all delivering part of that compost to the soil. my argument was that brewing it for however long is redundant.
    i dont think indoors or outdoors has anything to do with this, naturally you will get bigger plants outside but it proves nothing about compost tea.

no-till soil with LED
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  11. You have a no till indoor? Wtf?
    I think we have different definition for no till?
    A no till garden is a garden that's soil when established is never disturbed. Are you telling me you only top dress your pots after every indoor grow?!!!?

no im not drunk!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Have you spent any time reading the No-Till thread?

No-Till Gardening: Revisited

• Like Like x 3

13. this is my 4th run with the same soil that was never disturbed aside from the hole to put in rooted clones.
    4 plants scrog in a 100gallon smartpot.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  14. #155 MrRaider, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
    No I haven't

no im not drunk!
    I have many friends who garden this way. One in particular went to school and has studied up on no till and now she is paid to advise and set up no till gardens in norcal. Her garden is really nice, but nowhere near as productive as mine....we have a friendly contest every year and she's yet to equal my results. We both are organic I just turn my soils. Like I said I'm not against it at all, it's just not my cup of tea. I like to run my fingers through my soil, bringing the bottom to the surface. ...but I do own tractors, a excavator and a loader so moving and digging dirt is my thing.

15. I think if you go back you will see that nobody really said that teas don't work...our point was ( at least mine was )that putting your tea ingredients on the soil and letting the soil handle it is just as good as making a tea without the work.that waterhead69 cat was arguing that there was mycos in teas and we were saying that they don't survive in a tea long enough to be beneficial. I use teas for certain things as I stated before. Let's all get along people. This is an awesome time to be a cannabis farmer we should all be proud of what we are doing..

• Like Like x 5
  16. FWIW, whomsoever is suggesting that any kind of ACT or AACT is not necessary for a healthy productive garden is offering some very good advice to those people, such as myself, who garden indoors under artificial conditions.

Soil chemistry and biodynamics are similar to but not exactly the same as open field agriculture, and sod and turf management for which ACT or AACT (your choice) was primarily and principally developed for use on. Four or five years ago it seems "someone" right here in GC championed their use for indoor gardening and a whole lot of people, myself included, jumped on that band wagon and worked the process for more than a few harvest cycles some of which weren't to...ahem, shall I say bountiful.

I dumped the whole ACT philosophy for indoor gardening choosing rather to start right from the get go and future maintenance is primarily reduced to top dress and water in. I think a lot of folks from that era of GC here in the O section are at the same point with their efforts and are just trying to save the ACT neophyte some unnecessary challenges with their grow which they undoubtedly will experience some where on their ACT brewing timeline.

That's all I have to offer on the ACT matter. As for true compost tea or rabbit scat tea, perhaps a different matter. ACT or AACT, nada.

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. how do you like like dr earth compost?