Compost Tea

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by 420Shrop, Apr 22, 2016.

1. sorry but that sounds like a bunch of stoner science. got any scientific proof that the microbes in an AACT can break down material faster then the microbes in the soil?
    oh and roots move all the time, they cant relocate an existing root but they are constantly expanding and growing, reaching new zones in the soil.
    roots don't sit and wait for nutrients to be delivered by water, when was the last time you saw it raining compost tea? plants outdoors are doing pretty good without it.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. I thought compost tea was just suppose to multiply the number of microbes not break things down quicker. In fact if you're using compost tea to fertilize wouldn't you be missing the point? Why not just make tea with kelp/alfalfa/neem/comfrey/nettle/dandelion/borage/etc if you want to fertilize? Its cheaper than compost tea anyways. I understand compost has nutrients in it but that really shouldn't be the intention of brewing an AACT.

Sent from my A460G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. the fact is that they dont even multiply in the AACT. not more then they would otherwise. the only thing AACT really does is dislodge them from the compost aggregate.

4. Actually it is science from Dr. Elaine Ingham who happens to be a microbiologist and a professor at Oregon State University, do yourself a favor and read her book. What the action in the brewing does is speed up the natural processes that occur in the soil. The microbes and roots are not mobile so it is water that moves everything to them. When it rains it is raining compost tea because the water washes the nutrients that were broken down at the top of the soil down through the roots where the roots absorb those nutrients and in a bucket the water is doing the same thing only quicker and more concentrated.

5. Two different animals you are talking extraction like brewing a cup of tea, compost tea is extraction plus digestion/conversion like brewing beer where the microbes eat/convert minerals to a form that the plants can use it also increases enzymes, amino acids etc.

6. well show me this science instead of telling me to read a book. i dont buy that brewing a cup of compost for a few hours and dumping it on the soil will provide more nutrients to the plant then top dressing.
    Application of Two Microbial Teas Did Not Affect Collard or Spinach Yield

7. Really? Does someone brew it up in a bucket and pour it down on us?

Well if compost is made properly the nutrients should be converted into a usable form already they don't need a bucket of water. And if I want enzymes and such I would use a sprouted seed tea. I still see no use for compost tea. Compost is great but I don't need to brew it. Plus how do I know what I'm getting without a microscope? Now we are talking spending lots of money just to use compost.

• Like Like x 2
  8. #48 waterhead69, May 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
    Nah I'll leave you to wallow in your own stupidity.

Please stay respectful - M369

• Like Like x 1
  9. Carry on sorry I annoyed ya.

10. so i can assume you have no scientific quote to back your claims. ok. nice argument.

11. compost tea is simply a vehicle to take a small amount of compost and broadcast it over a larger area than what the compost could cover surface area wise. this waters down the concentration of microbes. if the dirt is lacking in compost, then the compost tea is not effective. microbes need organic matter to survive. this is why we feed the soil by using premium compost. this compost provides much more microbial activity and gives them a house so to speak.

compost teas are generally bacteria dominated and fungi are much much tougher to agitate from the compost in the tea. in our soil, the fungi can multiply much more easily. there is no risk of anerobic teas either.

i like Elaine but she is advising commercial agricultural farmers who would are using the absolute least amount possible trying to get more bang for their buck. this way they can add very little compost and try to literally supplement with teas. supplements just like vitamins are good but getting your nutrition from raw foods like carrot sticks provides the best form of nutrition compare to a daily vitamin or rather tea.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Assume all you want. if you wanted to expand your knowledge instead of being anal you could. What I posted is science it is how soil works I didn't tell you to use it or that it would make your dick bigger or grow hair if you want to argue with a microbiologist go to her web site and do it.

13. I'm not commercial and I find her info very informative it goes much deeper than just tea. What difference does it make if it makes for a better crop be it yours or a commercial organic grower.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Woah hold up. Scoobs has got one down to his knees?!

@Sc00byD00bie heeey! Holler back. :ey:
    image.jpg

If you don't want to argue and think you're correct, you won't convince us. forums are full of lively debate and it's tough when we don't all agree. All we can do is speak from experience.

• Like Like x 1
  15. science is not saying how things work, its proving it. so far all you gave us is your opinion. where is the science? you cant expect to come on these forums and lay down claims and then tell us that if we want proof you are right we should read some books. no one is going to take you seriously, especially with that attitude.
    now, if you want to discuss things like two grown ups ill be right here.

• Like Like x 3
  16. You didn't post science though you said we should read a book. I'm glad what you do works for you and what I do works for me. I'm willing to listen if you want to show me how it works but it doesn't mean I'm going to do it either. I started the conversation with Scooby because I wanted to understand better why compost tea isn't necessary. He gave me some good information and I bet there's more information out there but it was a good starting point for me. If you want to get into this conversation with the opposite viewpoint of why compost tea is necessary that's great. I understand a lot of people have or do use it and I have even been over to microbeorganics.com and seen what Tim (I think that's his name) has done to demonstrate the value of compost tea but it doesn't mean I agree either but at least he's not just saying I should read a book. So show me why you feel it is necessary telling me to read a book won't get you far. I know a farmer who does excellent things and uses compost tea religiously and I know farmers who do excellent things without it. So I would say its a safe bet that the compost tea isn't necessary. In my opinion I want to mimic nature as closely as I can and I don't see compost tea out in nature. In nature things die back and naturally compost back where they came from so therefore I find compost to be a better way to go about things. If you say rain is compost tea then why don't I just wait for rain to fall? Why go through the extra effort? I do make teas with things such as nettle/kelp/alfalfa/neem/borage/etc but this is something I intend to phase out. I would like my crops to have these nutrients and what not so that when they are composting back in they can provide something good. I am also laying these things down on my beds as well and will try mulching with the things I can so I don't have to give them the teas. I will eventually hopefully get good at composting so I can then add them to that for use in my bed along with worm castings which I use for transplanting. These are all natural ways to add something that I feel people spend too much time making just to speed the process up. Nature isn't in a hurry why should I be?

• Like Like x 2
  17. pretty sure the process that goes on in a bucket of aerated compost and water is the same process that goes on in the soil itself (as long as its not bone dry). so essentially you have "compost tea" brewing in the soil, all the time.

honestly, the question isnt weather microbes multiply or not, break down the compost faster or not.
    the real question is: does it make a difference? if you cant show significant increase in either yield or time to harvest compared to using just compost then i am not convinced its worth the time.

• Like Like x 4
  18. You didn't even read what i posted I never said it made a difference all I did was say what happens in the process of brewing which is the same thing that happens in the soil only faster but you are so anal in your conviction that it's bad only because you say it's bad so that is all you focus on. You come off as condescending like you know everything some big time expert who knows it all and when someone says something you don't agree with you talk down to them like they're stupid.

19. All
    All I'm saying is do your own research don't take anyone's word for something until you check it out for yourself if I show you something you wouldn't believe it because you've already made up your mind. When you spread compost on top of the soil and water through it you are making compost tea just not as concentrated as brewed tea which one is better isn't what I was talking about only how it works..

20. im condescending? im not the one using words like stupid, anal and big dicks...or telling people to go read books to educate themselves...if anyone is being condescending here, its you.

where is the evidence that it is stronger? if it doesnt make a difference then whats the point?

• Like Like x 1