Compost Tea

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by 420Shrop, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Awesome explanation Scooby. And thanks for the link. That makes a lot of sense. I have never been one to use compost tea but I do use tea with kelp/alfalfa/etc. But I think that it would be best to just add these things to my soil rather than make teas also just like the compost. I think people feel like making ACT they are getting more bang for their buck and are able to go further with it.

Sent from my A460G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. more like banged for their buck. at least the compost brew makers are happy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I've just been told compost goes further in ACT because you can spread it over a wider area. But the brew makers definitely rip you off you can easily build a brewer for way cheaper than what they are sold for. Either way I never got caught up in the hype. Just like clone machines... I just soak cuttings in aloe water for about an hour and then straight into soil. People seem to think you need a $200 clone machine to get a root on a plant. The only "clone machine" I ever had was a free air pump and an empty coffee can. And I'd rather just put it in the soil.

• Like Like x 1
  4. i dont agree, you can spread compost just as wide, very thinly but still.
    and besides, why is that desirable? do they think spreading a cup of compost over a 20x20 area is going to have any effect? about the same effect as if they took the cup of compost and sprinkled it over the area. but i wouldnt expect that little amount to do anything. weather it was sitting in a bath of water for 24 hours before or not.

5. I agree you can't make 1 cup of compost go any further than if you took it and spread it out. Anything in that compost will not magically transform into anything else by bubbling it for a certain length of time. This year I am trying to spread compost in my yard what would you recommend to be a good layer(how thick) that will create beneficial results?

• Like Like x 1
  6. 1/2" is a good start and any more is a good thing.

J

• Like Like x 5
  7. and a thick layer of mulch.

8. Awesome. I laid some alfalfa/kelp/neem/karanja/crab shell in my beds as well. I've been using CoM lobster compost and Dr earth compost but I'm hoping to do some composting myself. I'm going to start up a worm bin also. I prefer castings over compost when transplanting with some kelp and everything seems to respond well. I make a sandwich castings then kelp in the hole then I put my plant in and throw kelp on top with castings over that. Best transplant results I've seen.

• Like Like x 1
  9. all in all, if your friend wants to brew act let her, some people like to "do" a lot when they garden so it gives them motivation i guess. or you can do as little as you want, just watch Ruth Stout!

• Like Like x 4
  10. Does it matter if I mulch then add compost or should I put the compost down and then mulch?

11. Ruth Stout is my hero.

It's amazing how much leaves and straw I've been adding to my garden, though, and still have bare spots. Damn garden is just too big (approx 40'x40').

It does work incredibly well but also takes an incredible amount of mulch. Weeds are voracious.

J

• Like Like x 4
  12. compost then mulch

• Like Like x 1
  13. When you clone like that, do you need a humidity dome, or literally just stick it in the dirt

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. that would depend on the RH (relative humidity) in the area you are cloning. if its very dry you want a dome but you can do without if your RH is higher.

15. I've never used a humidity dome. Just keep in mind you want the soil to be pretty wet, I feel like its almost too wet but remember in a clone machine they are sitting in water so the cutting needs to be very moist. I've mostly done this outside so I'm not sure if that matters but I doubt it. Just pay attention to the leaves if they start to droop water the soil. I should also mention I trim off basically all but the top most leaves. I'm not sure if that's really necessary or not once I have more to work with I'll have to experiment. I also don't think the soaking in aloe water(not aloe vera juice, water with aloe in it 1/4 cup aloe juice per gallon of water or 1/4 teaspoon aloe powder per gallon of water) is necessary but probably speeds the process as it contains salicylic acid which is a rooting hormone. I believe some people use kelp also but don't quote me on that.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Cool I'll give it a try cause I've had shit luck with cloning lately, a year ago it was the only thing I could do right

17. I'll put it in straight promix, I stays pretty wet

18. I use the soil I mix up once it has cycled its good to use for everything. So if you mix your own you can use that as well. Good luck.

19. Ok cool I'm mixing up no till next week

• Like Like x 1
  20. compost tea isn't about bacteria it's about what the bacteria do while the tea is brewing. the bacteria, enzymes and other critters take the organic minerals and convert them to the inorganic form that the plants can use. Iron for example is not usable by plants in organic form but when it's oxidized it forms iron oxide that's usable and it's the same for all minerals.There are other things in the compost that are broken down and extracted during the agitation and when it's put on the plants they can use it immediately because they don't have to wait for the soil microbes to do it. roots don't move so they sit there waiting for water to bring them the nutrients that the microbes in the soil break down so all compost tea does is speed up the natural process.

• Like Like x 1