compost tea?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by mindismoving, Jul 6, 2012.

1. [quote name='"Microbeman"'] It is possible to run a perpetual ‘brew’ but there will always be a down cycle where undesirable organisms dominate until the new [vermi]compost and foodstock kicks in (starts being consumed and the correct microbial groups begin multiplying again) and homeostasis is established. I have seen this down cycle persist for at least 24 hours.
    Shops selling from a perpetual brew:
    If one is selling tea to customers from a perpetual ‘brew’, how do you decide which customer(s) gets the inferior ‘tea’. There are people who did the testing of perpetual brews a number of years ago and assuming that ACT is about achieving a consortium of diverse nutrient cycling microorganisms, they concluded there is greater efficacy achieved by starting a new ‘brew’ each time.

[/quote]

Now what I'm wondering is, if there is a down cycle that happens before the new material causes a boost in beneficial micro growth, could't you just not use the tea during that time. Like always wait 24 hours after adding new plant matter so the good microbes can build up and become dominant again? It would take a scope, but it would make the purpertual tea mode doable if my reasoning holds true.

2. Where an ACT is simply used to boost and ensure proper amounts of soil microbes in your pots, your garden - wherever - why not just make a new batch here and there? ACT is not something that needs to be or should be used all the time - hence, you don't really need to do a "perpetual" tea...

3. I water my plants with my aquarium water. I use water changes to start my act or botanical teas. The way I look at it you have to change or filter the water for your tanks health, so why not recycle. I like having a constant clean nutrient rich water source. It's bailed me out more than once when i didnt have some water bubbling off. My bio filter consists of rock and peat. When the biofilter is cleaned peat and sludge are composted or put into worms bin and replaced with fresh peat.

Here is some of terminology and uses your going to hear around these woods. Don't let your head explode.

AACT or ACT - (actively) airated compost tea. Microbe rich compost with a sugar source and water. Microbial innoculation

Compost teas - non airated. Microbe rich compost with a sugar source and water. Stir occasionally. Microbial innoculation

Botanical tea - plant material mixed with water. Can be aireated or not. Elements and compounds are both available for uptake. Can be applied foliar or soil drench.

FPE - fermented plant extract - plant material mixed with a sugar source and lacto cultures. Elements are readily available for uptake. Usually dilute with water and apply foliar or soil drench.

4. I would suggest two containers with aeration source divided between the two with a Y connector and a big enough pump.

As Jerry is saying do not go perpetual. The ACT will go anaerobic and by adding more fuel you won't reverse that process. Just alternate between 2 or 3 buckets or containers. I have a scope and can confirm this.

As far as brewing an ACT versus an EWC tea, I highly recommend BOTH are aerated. Not just stirring EWC.

With FPEs of which I have many stored I also highly suggest you dilute heavily and aerate as well as they are highly anaerobic and as a result can often pH at 3. What you were suggesting with blending them will work as an FPE if you brew it over time. In face blending plant material is best for FPEs. Swiss chard, spinach, kale are some of thr most nutrient rich plants you can find.

I prefer nettles and comfrey as they are free and abundant. Be warned as they are anaerobic they stink worse than dead bodies cooking in the Iraqi desert sun.

I recently made an FPE out of wild mint and foliage sprayed my apple trees. Worked well on whatever beetle was fucking with my apples.

5. drhell2pay, I made a botanical tea out of wild Horsemint, which we have an abundance of here in the South. I let it "cook" for a week in 98-101 degree sunshine each day. It took care of a junebug beetle infestation on my peach trees.

6. [quote name='"GD1966"']drhell2pay, I made a botanical tea out of wild Horsemint, which we have an abundance of here in the South. I let it "cook" for a week in 98-101 degree sunshine each day. It took care of a junebug beetle infestation on my peach trees.[/quote]

I did the same with wild mint for my apple trees.

7. No Monsanto DDT?

I hate hate hate Monsanto with a passion, and I don't really hate anyone.

They are the Antichrist company - pure evil.

Doc, I just planted 2 peach trees a month or so ago, and I am seeing some Japanese beetles on them. I was thinking about spraying them with my regular neem oil mix - do you have any other suggestions?

TIA

J

8. Interesting. I have lots of mint growing on my property. I might give that a whirl. I really have enjoyed this thread.

9. [quote name='"jerry111165"']

No Monsanto DDT?

I hate hate hate Monsanto with a passion, and I don't really hate anyone.

They are the Antichrist company - pure evil.

Doc, I just planted 2 peach trees a month or so ago, and I am seeing some Japanese beetles on them. I was thinking about spraying them with my regular neem oil mix - do you have any other suggestions?

TIA

J[/quote]

Other than mint or rhubarb teas neem is where it's at.

10. That is pretty much what I was getting at. Unfortunately there are some 'greedy' compost tea brewer manufacturers who tell hydro shops they can run a perpetual brew and sell tea to customers at any time during business hours. If they are not running scope exams who is the poor sucker who gets brown water?

11. I prefer to use carbohydrates to sugar; e.g. black strap molasses

12. Dr Hell: ACT in my vocab = EWC tea.

13. Aloe Vera juice > molasses. Picked that up from LD

14. If you mean Aloe Vera juice is superior in ACT to molasses, although I have not tried it, I do believe the source which LD got this from (a certain un-named gentleman) was confused at the time he gave this information. I know this because I am good friends with the gentleman and fairly well aquainted with Coot/LD/CQ.

15. A good scam ;). It's so easy to brew your own in a 5 gallon bucket with an old cotton sock a fish pump and an air stone ;) cheap too considering how much you can use.

I keep another bucket bubbling with plain water and just switch it when done. I use all 5 gallons every watering. Sometimes just plain EWC sometimes an alfalfa tea, kelp. Whatever. This last time I used only a nettle fpe that I bubbled up as a tea one cup per 5 gallons

16. so, as far as "making" my own nutrients for soil-less media, is it possible to use a tea, extract or any combination of these types of things as a stand-alone source for all nutrient needs? my logic from the outset of this experiment has been as such: three major macronutrients, i believe 17(?) micronutrients, plus to some degree amino acids are theoretically all any plant needs to flourish, assuming all the components are available in a usable form at the time the plant needs them. compost/compost teas potentially could contain exactly that, provided there's ample high-quality source materials. so.. is it possible? if so, is it advisable?

the risk of having an anaerobic tea, even if it was temporary, is enough to make me rather keen on the idea of just keeping 2 or 3 buckets on the ready at all times. i'm also thinking i might do something similar with worm castings tea, and keep that separate from the standard compost tea. any thoughts? ...btw, i've learned almost as much from this thread about compost/floral teas as i've learned about growing in general since i started on this forum lol. i really really appreciate all the help.

17. Absolutely, I was refering to my aquarium water as my unchlorinated water source. I then follow your recipe w/ ewc, fish, molasses, and kelp.

18. I think LD knew what he was talking about with botany degree and a huge nursery in the upper NW and there's a lot of haters on GC that hear something new that can be backed up with science but instead of asking they know a guy who knew a guy that said it by mistake ;).

My gardens speak volumes about his advice ;). recently as accused of "lacing" my bud, lol. Best compliment ever. I'll keep using aloe and looking under my scope and seeing the results.

19. [quote name='"drhell2pay"']

I think LD knew what he was talking about with botany degree and a huge nursery in the upper NW and there's a lot of haters on GC that hear something new that can be backed up with science but instead of asking they know a guy who knew a guy that said it by mistake ;).

My gardens speak volumes about his advice ;). recently as accused of "lacing" my bud, lol. Best compliment ever. I'll keep using aloe and looking under my scope and seeing the results.[/quote]

Microbeman has very respectable credentials in this area. He has contributed a ton of great info. :)

20. I'm not saying he doesn't. Just tired of people bashing LD. He's terminally Ill.