Compost tea Brewer advice

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by That_One_Weed, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Hi all,So i need some help.i practically know nothing about making a proper Brewer.aside from bits and pieces of info from posts on here.And i wanted to get some things straight.I want to brew a simple Microbe tea for my plants to keep the soil healthy.I was thinking of a 2 gallon Brewer should do it for me. as Far as Ingredients someone suggested 1cup EWC 1 Tlbs Molasses 1 Tlbs Each Kelp meal/alfalfa meal And aloe Vera juice..Sound ok?

Now i dont know what kind of Air pump is suitable for 2-3 gallon Brewer
    and as far as air stones goes,People say to stay away from stuff like this

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Bubble-Aerating-Aquarium-Ornament/dp/B00025651G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top]Amazon.com: Deluxe Bubble Disk® 3" Aerating Aquarium Ornament: Pet Supplies[/ame]
    Now im im supposed to stay away from those kinds of Diffusers,which am i supposed to use?

2. They can be spendy or simple.

I just use a 2 outlet aquarium pump >$20, the $1 airstones and a 5gal Homer bucket.

Works fine for simple teas.

There is a thread for an ACCT brewer somewhere in the first few pages here. Mo betta, Mo $$$$$$

Wet

3. yea i saw stankies newest build...but $135 is a lil more than im willing to invest..i want a simple 1 like the build you were suggesting,Thanks for you input wet :wave:

4. Aye guys is this pump ok
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JPRNOU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p86_d0_g86_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=18CVSKECGV77ENN1CJZR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846[/ame]

5. Yes it is......

6. If you build a good soil, you don't need an AACT. I would save your money for other things like more lighting or better air extraction. Maybe buy a rubber maid tub to mix some soil up in.

7. What choo talkin bout Willis?!?

That's kind of an odd statement from someone who espouses "Teaming with Microbes" so much. :confused_2::poke:

Besides, he's asking about a tea brewer, I think. Being able to bubble stuff is a good thing, even if it's just EWC and alfalfa. :)

Wet

8. Thanks Wet and LD :D :wave:

9. 45 LPM in a 2 gallon container should have the water roiling!!! At this point, I told you everything I know about proper tea brewing when I said hello, but if turbidity is better then you should be golden with that baby!!

10. yea people have me scared with the fear of having Anaerobic bacteria growin...So i figured get the water a Churnin :D .so there will be no dead pockets in the brewer

11. You can make simple one out of that pump, a 5 gallon bucket (you want room for splash-over), and about $5 worth of PVC.

12. Not really. TWM teaches a lot more than just how to make an AACT.

From what I have read, an AACT is used to help repair dead soils. If one already has a live soil, then what need is there for an AACT?

If I am using ewc's in my soil mix and top dressing with ewc's, why throw more ewc's in some water to make a tea out of it?

13. You make a valid point, but a few of us are learning that when your using fresh viable high end compost, ACT may not be needed. Keep in mind that is our observations, and not a blanket statement, and using ACT won't hurt even a great grow, and could turn around a so so grow. My last grow was without any ACT but I did bubble quite a few botanicals.....MIW

14. I thought about making a brewer like that..Found an interesting vid on how to make 1

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVzf93kaMKw]active aerated 55 gallon compost tea brewer with waterfall and venturi - YouTube[/ame]

15. I did the same. No ACT per se, but I bubbled a good bit of stuff. Get that good foam going and you know there is decent micro activity in there.

Really though, is there THAT much difference between say a decent bubbled botanical, or a EWC/alfalfa tea and a ACCT?

Or, is it more a matter of semantics or degree? I just don't see any great differences.

Wet

16. I keep forgetting how much I know. ;)

One very good use of an AACT is to help fight leaf pathogens. Like PM.

17. Really though, is there THAT much difference between say a decent bubbled botanical, or a EWC/alfalfa tea and a ACCT?

I'd have to say that a botanical tea and an AACT tea are two totally different animals.

Botanical Tea = Nutrition w/ no real microbe activity

AACT = Microbial activity and no real nutrition

Thats the way I look at it anyhow.

jerry.