compost tea and finishing soil.

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by poppybgood, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Hey guys, today is the day I'm going to start brewing my 1st batch of real compost tea, thanks to LD, Jerry, and the gang!!!:wave: I have a few areas I'm going to be using my 1st test batch in my garden and raised beds because I'm sure they could use a boost of micros.

The compost I'm going to use is from my in ground worm bed. It wasn't thoroughly finished when I made the bed, but now that the worm population has freakin exploded there is a high level of castings in the bottom. There's still a lot of identifiable bits of leaf and whatnot, but i'm not looking for absolute perfection on my 1st run.

I also mixed a 32 gallon batch of finishing soil for this year's winter grow over the weekend, peat based, and used a gallon of screened compost, and 4lbs of epsoma stuff with the cultures. There is already a nice growth forming on the surface of the mix, but i'm wondering if I water in a little bit of tea will it really kick it off? Or possibly be detrimental? I'm like a proud papa as this is the most diverse mix I've made to date and I don't want to screw it up.

2. I would guess follow your instinct with whether or not to water your mix with the ACt.

Sounds like a dank mix by the way, congradulations.

Also with your worm pit, it sounds awesome, you're way ahead of the game with that, it doesn't get any better. the ACT from it should be awesome. And expanding the capacity of a small amount of soil to a wider area... very nice

did you line the pit with a tarp or just dig a trench and start your worms in there? I seem to remember you fed them onions a while ago

3. Hey Poppy, it sounds as though your mix has already kicked off without the benefit of the tea.

4. But at the same time it definetly will not hurt it to add more microbes. And then some more.

I friggin' love good compost tea. I've seen it make stuff explode.

Why dont you do a side by side? :)

jerry.

5. Thanks guys, and Jerry, I just may do that. I am going to run 8 or 10 pepper plants in 7 gallon containers through the summer, and that would be a good tester so to speak, because the mix is all going to be the same.I'm off today, and have been enjoying the nice weather and getting the ball rolling for the kitchen garden.

Hop2toke- yes, that was me that added all those chopped onions to the bed. Pretty lame and stupid. After I googled it I found tons of folks across the boards warning about it. It didn't take long for the effects to diminish though. I didn't line the trench with anything, and from the looks of it I have a population of at least 2 different types of worms.

Sam, the Epsoma cultures ROCK!! I have never had a web form in any of my previous concoctions so rapidly. It's only been sitting for 72 hours. Woo Hoo!! Maybe a few side jobs will get me one of them new fangled digi ballast 600's this fall and I'll put that dirt to work.

6. It's what I would do......