Completely New to Hydro... About to Attempt DIY... Advice, Please?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Mashiro, Mar 12, 2012.

1. It is definitely NOT worthless. In fact, it is directly behind my standard nutrients in terms of importance. H2o2 breaks down into h2o and the remaining combines to form o2. Not only does it greatly increase oxygen in your reservoir, it actively destroys pythium and other unwanted bacteria. You have to use inorganic nutrients however. Add 3 ml per gallon every 3 days and your reservoir will remain crystal clear.

2. [quote name='"Destillat"']It is definitely NOT worthless. In fact, it is directly behind my standard nutrients in terms of importance. H2o2 breaks down into h2o and the remaining combines to form o2. Not only does it greatly increase oxygen in your reservoir, it actively destroys pythium and other unwanted bacteria. You have to use inorganic nutrients however. Add 3 ml per gallon every 3 days and your reservoir will remain crystal clear.[/quote]

Curious if you have done a side by side. I agree about it breaking down, but if you've ever put peroxide on a cut then you've seen how quickly it reacts and becomes useless. Don't get me wrong, I use h2o2, just not sure its all its cracked up to be.

3. I tend to see good growth right after adding h2o2.. I personally use the strong kind found in hydro stores, not the kind you get a the grocery store.. It's like 29% verses 3%. I'm sure you can get it online as well.

4. Water can only be saturated so much with air. Putting in more air stones isn't necessarily going to introduce more O2 to the roots. It's no different than putting Kool Aid mix into water and some of it doesn't dissolve, oxygen in water works similarly.

A single air stone would have worked fine for your application. Hell, you could have gotten away with just a water pump that stirs up the surface of the water.

Dissolved oxygen isn't just putting tons of air stones in your reservoir. Although, it does the job just fine.

5. [quote name='"ohspyro89"']

Water can only be saturated so much with air. Putting in more air stones isn't necessarily going to introduce more O2 to the roots. It's no different than putting Kool Aid mix into water and some of it doesn't dissolve, oxygen in water works similarly.

A single air stone would have worked fine for your application. Hell, you could have gotten away with just a water pump that stirs up the surface of the water.

Dissolved oxygen isn't just putting tons of air stones in your reservoir. Although, it does the job just fine.[/quote]

Imo dissolved oxygen isn't the whole story. Bubbles that don't add anything to the DO of the water are still touching roots on their way up and transferring oxygen to the plant.