Completely New to Hydro... About to Attempt DIY... Advice, Please?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Mashiro, Mar 12, 2012.

1. #1 Mashiro, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
    Here are a list of my materials that I have on hand.

Reservoir: Amazon.com: Sterilite 19368606 25 Quart Base Shelf Tote, Clear: Home Improvement Dimensions: 19 7/8" L x 15 1/2" W x 7 3/4" H

Air Pump: AirPod Up to 20 Gallons

Blackout Material: Foil Tape

Tubing: 2.5' of Clear 1/4" Tubing

Hydroton: 1 Qt

Air Stone: 3" Diameter Round Air Stone

So, my question is not how do I make this thing, but what do I need to make a good one? Do I have the basic materials or do I need more?

I plan on putting one plant in the reservoir. What size net pot do I need for what I have? I plan on vegging for 6 weeks until she's about 1.5' tall. Will this small reservoir hold her roots? Will the air stone be enough? How much water should be in this particular container?

2. #3 Mashiro, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
    Both of those would cost me more in parts and time if I were to try and do those. I could buy this and save time. HTG Supply - Bubble Boy Single Shot | Deep Water Culture | Hydroponic System

I'm trying to DIY with stuff I have on hand, some stuff I have to buy, I know. Plus, I wanted a low reservoir for my 2x2x4 tent. I plan to Scrog as well.

What size net pot would you use for my 7 3/4" tall reservoir?

3. prolly 5" u could run 6 plants in that tub just need more airstones

4. Well...you want 1" between the bottom of the net pot and the top of the water....so whichever will fit. I'm guessing 6" will be too close to the bottom...3" probably. They're about 3-4" deep, so that will give you 3-4" of h2o.

5. Would a smaller net pot make my plant smaller? Or because the roots fill up the reservoir, it doesn't matter?

6. Here is the tub all foiled up with 2 5 inch holes in it. Hydroton, air pump, and air stone.

[​IMG]

What else should I get besides net pots?

7. For a reservoir that size I think you are going to need more air than that pump will provide.

8. I would use more airstones. Pot size doesn't matter if the plants are supported. Most of your roots are in the tub.

9. It's rated for up to 20 gallons. What pump would you suggest using instead?

10. Would one 12" air stone do it well?

11. My tubs are about that size and I use 2 larger 2 outlet pumps and 4 airstones. More air is better. I have been ok with much less air, but seemed to really limit the roots to right over the airstone.

12. I would use at least 2 dual outlet pumps fpr that res, More air is better.

13. Okay, as far as meters and testing equipment goes... what will I need? I know I need to be able to check Ph and PPM.

14. That is all I ever check.

15. IMO this is where you can't get the cheap stuff. Buy a Hanna 3 part ppm,ph,temp gauge and the 7.0 calibration fluid. Personally, I would use h2o2 in your res.

16. [quote name='"Destillat"']IMO this is where you can't get the cheap stuff. Buy a Hanna 3 part ppm,ph,temp gauge and the 7.0 calibration fluid. Personally, I would use h2o2 in your res.[/quote]

Agreed, its cheaper in the long run to buy a good meter. I also use h2o2, not really sure if it helps, but doesn't seem to hurt.

17. Hydrogen Peroxide? I've never heard of that being used in Hydroponics. How do I use it? What are its benefits?

18. Just ordered two 12 inch air stones and some more tubing.

19. [quote name='"Mashiro"']

Hydrogen Peroxide? I've never heard of that being used in Hydroponics. How do I use it? What are its benefits?[/quote]

From what I've heard it helps to sterilize and adds o2, not really too sure about either claim. Seems like it would all react with compounds in the res too fast to really matter. Cheap, though it might be worthless.